Hello! I know that both Suboxone and Methadon are used when a person wants to get off heroin. They lessen the withdrawal effects and cravings after the heroin as they hit the same receptors. I was wondering if there was a difference between these two. Is there anybody who can explain this to me? Thx

As far as I know suboxone is less addictive. Doctors taper the dose for the patient at a very slow rate. Sometimes even down to dosage's as small as 1mg. This eliminates any physical discomfort of withdrawal. Addiction therapy continues to help with any psychological dependence. It is said that Methadone is far more physically and psychologically addictive. Often addicts who start with heroin and go into Methadone treatment end up with a even more nasty addiction. Some of them even end up taking Methadone for the rest of their lives while this is not the case with suboxone. Suboxone patients stop the drug within a week to a couple years. This is because Methadone stays in the body's system for a long time.

I would recomend staying as far away from Methadone as you can. I was on it for 6 years and getting off it was the worst thing ever.

I'm on Suboxone taper now and it does work the same but the withdrawl from suboxone is much less then anything else I tried, the point is suboxone is still an opiate and will be some withdrawl but very little in my opion. There is no magic pill Suboxone does work very well but still should be done slow with a Doctor supervising. Good luck that is only one man's experience.

I was on morphine for a long time then I got some methadone 40mg been on methadone for about a week. I know have some suboxone. My question is ... is it ok to take the suboxone now or wait until the methadone is completely out of my system?

if you take suboxone while methadone is in your system it will put you in immediate withdrawl. reason: the agonist in suboxone saturates the opiate recepters, if there is methadone already on those receptors than part of the suboxone dose will waste itself pushing the methadone of the receptor i.e. immediate withdrawl. and then there is not enough suboxone left to take its place. Ex. if you take 16 mgs of suboxone but still have methadone in your system than 10 mgs (depending on amount of methadone your on) just forces the methadone out of your system which will feel like instant withrawl
then there is only 6 mgs of suboxone left which is not enough to help a regular methadone withdrawl let alone a forced instant one...DONT DO IT!!!!
(all dose info was just for example purposes and based on the max suboxone dose your dose may be different.)

I AM LOOKING TO KICK METHADONE. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION, BUT THIS ONE MAY SOUND STUPID: WHY WOULD I NOT WANT TO TAKE SUBOXONE AND SIMPLY INITIATE THE WITHDRAWAL PERIOD INSTANTLY, RATHER THAN WAITING FOR 3 TO 4 DAYS FOR THE WITHDRAWAL TO BEGIN? I WANT TO GET THE WITHDRAWAL PERIOD OVER QUICKLY, AND I'D RATHER HAVE IT START SOONER THAN LATER. WHAT DO YOU THINK A BOUT THAT?

Medhelpman85,

Trust me, you do not want to take sub right after (within 4 days) methadone). It will throw into withdrawals that will make you pray for death instantly. The withdrawals were so bad for me that I was peeing blood, throwing up and had diahreah all at the same time withg the intensity level of 2 days off you drug of choice times 1,000. I was taking 100 mgs of methadone per day, then checked into a rehab center and did not wait long enough and went straight into the worst hell. If you are on methadone, there is no easy wasy off of it my friend. I was I could tell you otherwise. However, suboxone is good to take because coming off methadone, you will have post acute withdrawals that are pretty nasty for about 45-60 days. I started at 1 mg per day and tapered up 4mgs, which is where I am now. The biggest difference is, with suboxone, you have a life, you don't just go to work come home and dose and pass out. You actually start enjoying life again and do not have the cravings, which is great. In my opinion, methadone should be banned for opiate treatment now that suboxone is out because methadone makes heroin look like baby aspirin, in terms of coming off of it and methadone still gets you high, hence the CII labeling. Good luck man. I wish you the best.

Wanted to share my experiences with subutex , I was on heroin for nine years and did a huge amount daily. I am young in my twenties, I have tried numerous times to "kick" and do know how out of this planet terrible the withdrawls are.

When I was put on Subutex even though I had not smoked heroin since nine the night before I started the replacement subutex at eight in the morning and I suffered the worst withdrawls EVER. It is like putting a few bad withdrawls altogether so I would strongly advise anyone who is willing to try detoxing this way to bear this in mind, make sure you hold out as long as possible before u take the first dose- when u feel the first stages of withdrawls come on -shivers,shakes,eyes watering e.t.c HOLD OUT as long as you can, then take it.The only succesful way in my opinion to do this treatment is to taper off slowly but surely like week by week dropping by 2mg or something-dont rush it and remember that if you take heroin on top of this again you will be really ill -withdrawing.

As for taking this as someone mentioned to start of the withdrawing quicker I wouldnt recommend it-again the withdrawls are worse than ever-believe me- be careful with this, its a brilliant way to detox if you listen to your doctor and do exactly what you should, its better by far than methadone as its easier to come off and methadone does get into your bones after a while. Subutex does not produce euphoric effects so if u r looking for a buzz from this drug ure not gonna get it and if u have opiates in ure system, you will suffer.
Good luck anyone trying to escaper the nightmare that is heroin addiction, if I can do it believe me- you can.

Ive been on suboxone for about 11 months now. Recently, i came upon some methadones and really liked the way i felt on them. I read that if you take suboxone when methadone was still in your system that you would have terrible withdrawls. Man, were they right. I feel like sh*t today! I took a suboxone when i woke up this morning. Usually it makes me feel much better but not today. My question is: If i took a suboxone this morning will methadone work on me and make me feel better or will the suboxone take that away?

I am not sure who is out there scaring everyone about suboxone withdrawel, but it is not bad at all. I have been on 24 mg for 1 year and nine months and am on my 6th day of quitting and the worst I have felt is a little runny nose. I am taking about 400 mg of Ultram a day, which is available at any of the online pharmacoes without a prescription and is incredibly easy to ween your self oof of, in fact I woke up this morning feeling almost back to the days before I took any drugs at all. These people having massive withdrawal symptoms from suboxone, must be abusing other drugs as well. Get off the c**p, it has been pretty damn easy and I have slept like a baby.

My doctor tells me that this drug also works for pain but I haven't read it anywhere or heard it elsewhere. I have a bulging disc and nueropathy pain. Ive had one injection steroidal and it didnt really take or help. So far the only thing that's helping is the pain meds. I dont want to take these painpills. but I have a seven month old to take care of and work in a fabrication shop. It seems like doctors always want to save you from you. and jump through their hoops. Injections, pricey procedures and if you dont they kick you to the curb.although they put you on the medicine that you become dependent upon. then they can treat you however they want. I'm wondering can anyone understand this? now I think because even with my insurance and I cant afford it. I feel like because I am not profitable I am being kicked to the curb! any ideas?

My question is why take suboxen if your gonna withdraw from it to? But when you first take it and you havent took any dones for 24 hours does the suboxen take away all the withdraw symptons away immediately. And you feel regular from then on and is it a controlled substance or narcotic? Does the suboxen make you high!

what strength of methadone did your doctors wait for you to down to until they switched you to suboxone and what was the process. My husband is on 85mg right now and needs to get off soon because he is looking for a job.

Whomever just entered a post concerning Ultram should be very, very careful. My daughter was addicted to Ultam and went through sheer hell trying to kick it. Please, believe me when I tell you it's almost as bad as trying to kick heroin.

well med help man I got a good one for you
I recently TRYED coming off suboxone afer 3yrs. I did a 3 month ween @ 1/4 of a 8mg tab. Two says later my brain went into sense overload of the the flooing according to intencity.
1.Head-ache
2.nausea
3.your ability to smell and taste goes, everything tastes like metal even
water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4.Muscle spasams including legs and hands
5.pereotic vomiting
6.Could not eat.
8. Dehydration to the point of hospitalization!
9. COULD NOT EAT. which really exaserbated our problem.
10. constant coughing which I have seen 3 other people coming off suboxone and they always had coughing or sore throats!!

What is this drug?? I thought after methadone it couldnt get worse but were suffering.
Thankyou
painterbob68