I was wondering about something. How can someone be sure if another person has schizophrenia? There is one man that is living in my street, and everyone is telling that he has schizophrenia. How can they know? Are there some signs?

Schizophrenia is characterized by profound disruption in cognition and emotion. It is affecting the most fundamental human attributes like language, thought, perception, affect and sense of self. The symptoms usually include psychotic manifestations, such as hearing internal voices or experiencing sensations that are not connected to an obvious source (hallucinations) and assigning unusual significance or meaning to normal events (delusions). Symptoms of schizophrenia are divided into positive and negative, depending on their impact on diagnosis and treatment. Positive symptoms are those that appear to reflect an excess or distortion of normal functions and negative are those that appear to reflect a diminution or loss of normal functions. The diagnosis of schizophrenia requires at least one month duration of two or more positive symptoms. Negative symptoms often persist in the lives of people with schizophrenia during periods of low positive symptoms. It is difficult to evaluate negative symptoms because they are not as grossly abnormal as positives ones and can be caused by a variety of other factors.

Hi Leola,

I see that you got a fairly comprehensive answer to your question. I was pleasantly surprised to note that you expressed interest about schizophrenia upon coming across someone who may suffer from this illness.

We have a few family members who suffer from schizophrenia. The first memory of it was from an uncle who became a victim to this illness and succumbed to it rather prematurely. I had asked my mother several times how and when my uncle's (her brother's) schizophrenia was first detected and she recounted certain clear symptoms such as the ones described below. But, what was important and what benefitted us greatly was people's awareness about this disorder and sensitivity towards those affected by it.

***edited by administrator***
***posting or advertising of other web addresses is not allowed***

Thanks for asking the question that you did.

Cheers,
Usha

Hi.. my name is.. well i can't really give you my name.. i am 15 years old my family is falling apart an nobody notices me
in school..really they don't :( the only thing they know about me is i am a freal :cry: all they say is that i am a cutter and a skitzo.
i just can't take my crappy life anymore :( maybe i am skitzo.i can't controll my anger. i am afraid of myself..i know i will snap soon.

maybe you should seek help... not going against you but i have been in the exact situation i did all that at 15 my family was dieing and everyone moving away from me, i'm 17 now and I've realized that doing that isn't the answer to your problems, in reality you have to be selfish and put your self first otherwise you won't be able to move on :-)

How can I find out if I have schizophrenia?
I don't think I do, but when I get too depressed in which I am most days. I am overly emotional, sometimes or always and when in anger I tend to punch walls and break things I own or around me, also I tend to inflict pain upon myself. I am extremely emotional...although I never show it to others. also I find it difficult to follow directions. The other day in a feat of anger I ripped the book to pieces I was holding. and after a while or the next day I feel as if I had been in dream or just woken up!

My mom and dad just recently separated. My dad mentioned to me he thought my mom was schizophrenic.
We always knew she had problems but after some research, this is what I found:

She has always had withdrawal from social situations (work, friends, school) and prefers to be alone

She stays up late and sleeps during the day

She doesn't converse well, emotionally or audibly.

She has delusions of bugs living in her skin.

She doesn't remember things very well.

She is over weight.

She thinks everyone has an agenda against her.

Outbursts of anger over nothing are common. Especially against me
and my dad. She knows she has a problem but she refuses to see a doctor.

Scary thing is... I see the same traits in myself. I'm seeing a doctor for depression,
should I bring up the possibility of schizophrenia on my next appointment?

Sometimes I hear voices in my head but they are usually my own and I feel compelled to answer and sometimes I do out loud but usually when I think no one is around. Sometimes I feel like people are out to get me but not because I have any special ability. It's because I don't understand how things work in this world and they see me as getting in their way so they will get me fired or promoted above them at work. I feel like I don't understand anything like I'm mentally retarded and I mean that in the literal sense, like there is some sort of logic that my mind can't absorb or is resistent to. I am always anxious all the time. I get depressed alot and sometimes I can't finish my own thoughts like my mind is intruding upon itself, it keeps me up most nights.

My half sister was diagnosed with Schizophrenia, I was adopted out of the family and have known each other for a short time so I never grew up with her to know what the symptoms are. Like her could I also be Schizophrenic?

At the moment life seems too much all the time.

anonymous wrote:

I used to hate high school too. I was made fun of a lot and I was unattractive both mentally, physically, and emotionally. I have come to learn that people will find issues to tackle you on simply because it temporarily allows them to escape their own self- ridicule and sad emotions. I finished high school just barely, but I was only able to do that because I ignored everyone else and just paid attention to me. Now I'm 20 years old, I'm a completely different person, and a lot of the people that used to pick on me and made my life hell now come up to me hardly recognizing me, and they approach me as if they are my friends and nothing ever happened... I tell the A-holes to eff themselves, but I've broken barriers with many other people who I never thought I'd say more then two words to in High School... Just hang in there. Everything will be fine. In the mean time, speaking to a therapist is a very good tool that you should use if that option is available to you. It will help you feel a lot better.

dear cutter and skitzo,

sorry for calling you that for lack of a better name. it seems like everyone in this world is either a cutter or a skitzo. what you have to do is make yourself believe that you are better than them and than that. i grew up thinking i was skitzo because my family made me believe that i was. but im not. nor was i ever. if it really is as bad at home, call a social worker to come by. don't wait until it is too late. i waited too long and now my boyfriend is in jail because of it. nip it in the bud. believe that you are strong and you will be. :-D

Hello, i'm 17 and have had paranoid 'delusions' since i was around 11, before that i dont remember. ive felt like im being plotted against, even by loved ones, almost consistently. Ive had vivid hallucinations of hearing people plotting against me, people in my house, outside my windows, against doors while they're shut, its like theyre listening and whispering so faintly i can barely hear, i am damn sure no ones there even though i check almost every time. ive withdrawn from so many friends, school activities, and even missed a cousins wedding because of plain fear of going outside. Felt like people get in my head and pick out exactly what im thinking when they say something and it messes with me, i know whats really going on but the paranoia grips me and i pull out of the situation. And oftentimes at school theres too much sh*t running through my head like a train for me to think about anything but the work ive got and the thoughts inside me even after im done with them and no matter how it reconciles itself because the voices in my head wont ****.

and the anger boiling in my stomach and up my back like needles and fire. its almost to a blinding inability to connect with anyone or anything. Even in good days im a split close to hitting or beating somebody with a desk if they so much as look in my direction. ive reconciled so much about myself in my head that often enough i cant connect with anybody. Ive had feelings about psychologists like theyre gonna get in my head and f*ck with everything that im too afraid to go and see one. Ive been depressed and have had recurring and demanding suicidal thoughts, sometimes from arguing voices in my head. I cant ever bring myself or spring on talking to anybody about it.

I know exactly what your talking about, i actually have exactly the same symptoms as you and there is a history of schizophrenia in my family. i was actually only on here to see if what signs of schizophrenia were because ive been getting kinda concerned about my self. being anxious all the time sucks ass and my doctor sucks and i have terrible health insurance, i used to be prescribed to zanx not a really high mg and it used to really help but currently im not taking any prescriptions, now what i do is i take one hit of marijuana (good stuff) every couple hours and it keeps me relaxed all day and to be honest with the prices of health care these days it far more affordable even if it coast a little more to get the medical grade around here. i do not mean getting really stupid with a friend every couple hours i mean literally pack one hit in a pipe and that's it anymore would most likely leave you slightly nonfunctional

I am 13 and I think that I may have some schizophrenia. Lately I haven't been sleeping well and we beileve I have been sleep walking but when I wake up I can't remember a thing. Sometimes I have outbursts of anger and they are very hard to control. I am quite emotionless and I don't feel guilt, I find it very hard to trust anybody and I love to manipulate people. I am a perfect student and I have alot of friends. I have never been bullied and my family is all still together. I am actually very happy with my life and I wouldn't change anything. It confuses me that I have such a dark mind and I am so emotionless. I tried to talk to my parents about letting me see a psycologist but they said that it wouldn't look good on a university application so they won't let me go. Sometimes I have these odd visions well I'm doing my daily life and I can see myslef interacting in the situation. Sometimes I even talk outloud to myself and the visions. It scares me that I don't see a problem with violence and I think I really need help. I also have a overpowering sense of self-worth. I am very confident and competitive and I will do anything to win. When I get into fights I say the meanest things and I have no self-control. I'm worried that next time I wont be able to stop myself before I go to far.

i hear voices a lot. when i'm school i space out and that just annoys me because. i end up 10 min in the future. and i hear three people voices some are nice. but sometimes they tell me to kill myself. i dunno

Hi im 15 and i think i have schizophrenia but my sisters told me that they had already decided that i wasn't. i think i have schizophrenia because when i'm thinking i always comment on what i thought it really annoys me when the comments are against what i think, i sometimes hear deep breaths behind me at night but when i turn there is nothing there. i see lings drawn on things around me sometimes when im just looking around. i also often feel like people are deceiving me all the time but i don't know why. i've had other symptoms but i dont feel like i am delirious at all so i dont know if i am schizophrenic or not