Hello everyone. My friend recently found out that their family dog has Addison’s disease. He’s been diagnosed two weeks ago, when they took him to the vet. It was devastating.
It turns out that’s a very serious disease, but according to the vet, it can be handled quite easily.
There are some medications that he will be taking and that should balance his cortisol levels. The food also plays a great deal in the healing process.
The thing that we don’t know is what is the life expectancy for dogs with this disease. Could someone help us out? What do you think?

Yes, it is devastating. My mom lost her dog because of Addison’s disease, but they too late found out that her dog has it. I just want to forget this, but I can’t. I am pretty sure that this dog can be cured, especially if vet say so. The most common treatment for dogs with Addison’s disease is hormone replacement therapy. The dogs who are receiving this treatment, can be expect to live between 2 and 7 years after diagnoses. Can you tell us what is the therapy of this dog, how do they treat him?

Because, that is really important for us to know…

I feel really bad for every dog with Addison’s disease. This disease can be really tough and some dogs have a lot of health problems because of it. One of my friends had a dog with this disease and he was very sad because of him. He was taking him to a vet all the time but after half a year the dog was better. I assume he got the therapy and it worked fine for him.

Your friend’s dog will also get some hormone therapy and he will have to use it for the whole life. Fortunately, this therapy will help him a lot so he will live quite a normal life.

Maybe you already know this, but I will write it down: Addison’s disease means that dog’s adrenal gland no longer can produce glucocorticoids and mineralocorticoids. Like others said, the treatment consists of replacing these hormones in dog’s body. It is similar to treatment of thyroid problems in humans. In both cases you have a gland which is now unable to produce needed hormones.

If the illness is diagnosed on time, dog has a very good chance to resume normal life and from my experience, he can live up to five years (although, I heard and read that some dogs lived even more).

Either way, I wish the best of luck to your friend’s dog.

Hi. I don’t know did I mentioned this, but I had experience in my family. My mother’s dog died from Addison’s disease three years ago. Unfortunately, they found out very late that he is sick, and they couldn’t help him. Later, I did some research as well, because I have dogs. This hormone therapy is something that can help your dog, and your dog can live a lot of years if he is treated right. So, your dog can live normal life, like every healthy dog, with good diagnose and good treatment.

Vet is the only one who can help you in this...

Hey. I can imagine how hard it must be to find out about your dog’s disease. We can all agree that Addison’s  disease is not the easiest one to cure, but luckily there are ways and there is always hope. My dog also had a diagnose, which was way more serious than this one, and that’s why I really mean it when I say I understand  what your friend is going through. Sounds silly, but what that dog needs the most right now is love(of course, instructions from the vet must be followed, but love is what he needs the most). In those kinds of situations one should never think of a negative outcome, imagine and visualize your dog being completely healthy, playing with you, running fast etc. Don’t let your dog feel desperation and worries of people around him. With positive thoughts he will be healthy and live a long, happy life. <3

Hi there. I am really sorry about your dog. I just can imagine this situation, I think that I would die if this happens to me :/ I was reading a lot about this, I was talking with my vet as well, when I started to take care of my Boo. I remember that we were talking about Addison’s disease as well, and he told me that if we found out on time that the dog is sick, it should not be a problem at all. So, with the proper diagnose and with the proper treatment, you should not be worried about this. Your dog can live for 5 or even 8 years with this disease, normally, like every other healthy dog. 

Hey rubylock, you didn’t tell us how old that dog is. It really matters, because if it is a younger dog, then there are great chances he will go though that easily and cure in no time. 

If it is an older dog, it is a little bit harder and more serious situation.  I am not saying it’s impossible, but it’s always harder for older dogs, unfortunately. I am not a vet, all I know is from the experience of my friends.

A friend of mine had a dog who got this disease when he was an older dog and he died not longer after that. 

On the other side, my cousin has a happy and cheerful dog who has been struggling with Addison’s disease ever since he was a puppy. 

Ourdog taz has Addison's and he's 10 years old and has done great just has to take the medication all his life , normal life played swam did everything a normal dog could do. Taz was discussed when he was 2 years old

In addition to Addison's disease, which I just found out, my little Chihauhau has a heart condition and is on medication. I am struggling with what to do now based on life expectancy and costs of treatment. Not sure I want to put her through all the blood draws that will also be involved. She is at least 7 years old.

Hi, our Beau (Bibble) a jack Russell x Maltese, has Addison's disease. He was diagnosed when he was 7 and I still remember how upset I was because he was so ill. I asked the vet would he have quality of life and he said yes. I asked would his life expectancy be reduced and he said yes, we rely on him living until he was 10. Well, Bibble has had a fantatic life - he is now nearly 16 - he is blind and deaf and struts down the street on his daily walk looking as though he is loving life. Don't let the disease get you down. Good luck Chris

Hi, everyone! My puppy, Mia, started showing symptoms of Addison's at the age of 6 mo. This is VERY rare! Our vet struggled for months to pinpoint what was wrong. After 7 months of ups and downs, including periodic doses of prednisilone, Mia crashed at 13 months of age and and we rushed her to the vets. It was on a fluke, that another vet at the same office, suggested she be tested for Addison's. (Addison's doesn't show up 'til at least 3 years of age, so it was never considered) WOW! Her blood work numbers were off the charts! Mia was given fluids and an injection of Fludrocortisone Acetate immediately! (she remained at the vets hospital for 4 days)
The vet later told us Mia was very close to dying that fateful day.
My now, 2 year old Rottweiler is doing great! Unfortunately, the Addisons diagnosis at such a young age caused bone deformities in both her rear legs. She has had knee surgery on both rear legs due to torn ligaments due to the twisted bones. She doesn't know she's different, and she is such a happy girl!
My vet has put her on a lifelong medication of 2.5 mg of Prednisilone once per day, along with Fludrocortisone Acetate 0.35 mg twice a day. This second medication is in pill form, and costs $67.50 for 100 pills. There are once a month injections available for her, but because of her size, the cost would be about $ 225.00. (per month)
It's been a long road, but my big happy girl is so totally worth every penny we've spent on her. and a hundred times more!!
Mia may not live as long as she might have under normal circumstances, but we cherish every day!

We had a similar situation with our poodle, Gigi. For months we went to multiple vets. Finally, she was so weak, she couldn't walk down the stairs. Our vet was sure she had kidney failure and sent her to a specialist. She looked at Gigi's blood work, diagnosed her with Addison's. Within 3 days Gigi went from at death's door to back to normal.
It has been 3 years and everything is under control.

Same here with our great pyrenees, she crashed at age 2 and has been on meds. But sadly she is losing the fight. It is time for us to say goodbye to her and only at age 4.

My Jack Russell was diagnosed with Addisons at about six yrs of age. We've had a couple of crisis which are scary as all hell but she's 11 now and going strong.
The main thing is the expense, so far it's north of $10,000 however I now get a script for Florinef from the GP as Addisons is also a human disease and the medication and dosage is exactly the same.