Hi! My brother has a problem with his adrenal glands. It’s some kind of serious disorder. We don’t know why he got it. His doctor said that many things can cause that kind of hormonal disorder but he isn’t sure what it is. I’m wondering would smoking marijuana affect the adrenal glands? Thanks!

Well, I know that when your body is under constant stress your adrenal glands can stop to product the hormone cortisol. This hormone is necessary for general health. Also some infection or illness can cause this disorder. Long term use of marijuana can be harmful for endocrine system and may damage function of adrenal glands.

I have all the symptoms of adrenal tumor after smoking marijuana so im wondering the same thing although it might just be severe anxiety i have literally 100% of the adrenal tumor symptoms some of which are weird like abdominal stretch marks. And all these symptoms (except stretch marks) pooped up after getting really high one night.

Football,

Only about 20% of Cushing's symptoms are caused by adrenal tumors, the rest are caused by tumors or cells in the pituitary gland just under the brain. Hard to believe the stretch marks showed up overnight though, it's usually a long process, maybe you just noticed them then? Other symptoms of Cushing's disease are fragile skin, weight gain, bloating of face and trunk, often with a double, a sympton called "moon face" abdomonal obesity, fatigue, pallor, fatigue, irritablity and low sex drive. All these can be caused by the overproduction of one of the adrenal gland hormones called cortisol. The adrenals can overproduce it, or the pituitary can run amok and order the adrenals to make too much. Cigarettes and various other drungs can help bring about these tumors. See a doctor soon. The sooner you get treated, the easier it is to treat.

Hey, I have Addisons Disease (Adrenal glands does not produce cortisol any more) and I occasionally smoke marijuana. I find that usually i'm fine with it, but if I haven't had any in a while ( months) then it does occasionally cause me to feint, even if i have taken more than enoug of my medicine. was wondering what exactly was the effects as well to be honest. hope it helps

tom wrote:

I was also having problems with my adrenals ..high anxiety and weak flu like symptoms chills with no fever..the doctor sent me some adrenal medicine which made it worst for the anxiety ..I stop taking them thm immediately after just two days ( I did this because int he past he sent me Iodine and cause me the same horrible anxiety ) ..then I came across a book The Magnesium Miracle and guess what ,,I did not have a problem with adrenal glands it was a deficiency in magnesium ..I took it right away because I had it home ..and within minutes I was feeling great...I don't know how I ended up here I was researching how long adrenal medicine stays in your system LOL and ended here but had to reply to this blog ..please read the book is only $10 sells in Amazon or research depleted magnesium or magnesium deficiency and you will see..there is nothing wrong with any of you guys here,,most people are deficient ..not eating right diet depletes magnesium and stress will do that too loud noises even if they do not affect you ( at least you don't think so ) will cause magnesium depletion ..symptoms includes ringing in the ear,,dizziness vertigo a weird feeling inside ,,faint ,,blurred vision or just not able to concentrate ...muscle spams ...neck pain ,,,tingling and numbness migraines anxiety panic attacks depression to name a few ..hope this helps
Good Luck

nevsa2050 wrote:

i have smoked cannabis for some time. i was recently diagnosed with addisons.
smoking cannabis is not good for addisons. the initial high from cannabis can have effects not good for some one with anxiety.
talk to your doctor. he is your primary care giver and you should not keep secrets from your doctor.

A study done in 2007 showed that smoking marijuana actually increases cortisone levels, so technically yes, smoking does affect the adrenal glands.

Could smoking marijuana affect the adrenal glands to the point where your brother would develop a serious problem? There is no studies to show this data, but most likely, that would not be the case. How much does your brother smoke per day/week? If he is not smoking 3x a week than his chances of developing a problem in his adrenal glands due solely to marijuana use decreases drastically.

The adrenal glands can be affected by many things; such as stress, Cushings, steriods, some medications, etc. Please take those factors into consideration.

Conclusion: His marijuana use is probably not the source of his 'serious' problem, however, using marijuana is certainly not helping and most likely contributing to his deteriorating health.

***I am not a doctor. Please verify any health concerns you may have regarding your brother to a health care professional.***

I had my Adrinal glands removed in 1995 and I wondering what cannabis would have on my body since I have to take prednisone every day for the rest of my life.

your brother has addisons disease. and yes you can smoke weed with it

I have a tumor on my adrenal gland. no blood pressure medications work for me. i have been on two blood pressure medications, and have ended up in the hospital with a blood pressure of 200/120, after I run out of marijuana. Right now, I am on no medications, with a blood pressure of 136/62. If you have a tumor on your adrenal gland, it is not merely safe; it will keep you alive. This study demonstrates that the endocannabinoid system, which marijuana effects, signals the adrenal gland to stop making too much of the hormones that raise blood pressure.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

thats a bunch of bs my endocrin system has been doiongmuch better while on weed thanwithout proven by the endocrinologiest at michiganstate universithy

I am not doctor but I found your post wondering  a similar thing, please read my expirence and sorry for the spelling errors.When I was a teen I was different from my friends, late pubirity, irrelgular periods always in pain, only tummy fat and one day the strech marks appeared, and the pain always in pain.  I was told I was a hypocondriact, I wanted attention, I ate to much (although I would only eat a sandwhich and was full) and well you get the picture.  The depression and anxiety were so bad I only left the house if I had to and had increase heart rate if more then 3 people were in a room.  I Just wanted to get by so I did what I was told and went to college., and discovered pot.  With pot the pain left, I was have not more rage outbursts and the depression was gone.  I joined groups went to parties and was no longer suffering pain depression or anxiety.  I did gain more weight but that was because of the pizza not the problem.  After college I got married and had kids.  Not wanting to be my drunk mother I cleaned up and eventually quit pot, never really liked alcohol but I would still have the occasional drink but that is like a shot every two weeks.   Now the symptoms are back and worse then ever.  I have muscle weakness and when I get sick I get sick hard.  I am always nausious, always tired always in pain and can not fall alsleep.  I have rage outbursts and the depression is the worst I have ever had (you know when you are watching a sad movie and are trying not to cry, that is my whole day everyday).  Well on vaction (that my husband really wanted and I resisted, but he usually gets his way as I do have the energy to figure out a good reason not to go) I fell and cut my knee, no biggy, with nothing to clean it, I brushed the dabree away and put some polysprine on till I could get to the hotel and clean it proprely.  That was a mistake it put me into anapheltic shock and we rushed to the hospital.  There I was saved, we told them we though I was pregnant since I was not feeling well lately, they ran tests.... no not pregnant but I do have low potassium high white blood cells and when we told them I have bee off for 3 weeks they wanted to run more tests, but as I was in the emergancy oom for hte shock they could not. I am on a waiting list for scans and tests on my adernal glands.  I did resreach and found Cushings Diesease and the shoe fits.  I began to wonder how long this problem has been going on also thought maybe the pot years did this but then remember I had signs as a teen when I was a "hypocondriact".  I am actually wondering if the High use pot actually made it go dormant, then the low use before my quiting made it stay dormant. As your brother is a male it will affect him differently, but has he resently decreased/ increased his amount.  there is also a large magnetiude of reasons for adernal problems.  the universal reason seem to have adernal problems though is an high stress/ highly emotional event that may have sent their fight or flight mode into hyperdrive and never fully recover.

I went to 6 different doctors over ten years and finally found one to help me. Finally ran the right tests and they found out i had a Pheochromocytoma in the medulla of my adrenal. Doctor Erickson in Clearwater florida took it out laproscopically(home in two days) and Luckily it was non cancerous (they usually aren't). I have been doing great. BUT you must watch your diet. Coffee will put me right to sleep. I still take 1mg of lorazapam once a day, twice if i'm having a bad day. Dont want the stress of life to cause me more problems. Also take Magnesium, vitamin C, and a womans vitamin .But its wonderful to have the nausea and all other symptoms gone. By the way ..Pot aggravates the issue Dont use it anymore. It relaxes you and puts you to sleep for a reason!!! FYI I am 67 years old and now feel like im 25 again. Walk 3 miles a day, ride a bike at least 2. Your doctor needs to watch your magnesium level also. Hope this helps someone

There's no way it was caused by smoking, to answer your question.