I recently underwent C5 C6 Anterior disectomy where they fitted one titanium swivel at C5 and a titanium disck at C6, the operation went well but within one week i experienced horrendous pain in my right shoulder and arm .

I have been attending a physcio therapist since the operation (November 2011) and he has now said there is nothing he can do for me regards the winged scapula, he believes my thorasic nerve has been damaged due to the operation.

I have now been referred back to my consultant to undergo nerve conductivity tests, can anyone help ??or have they experienced similar problems.

Hi there.. I just had Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion at c5, c6 and c7. It was performed on Aug 8, 2012. Where I was ecstatic to finally be free from the left arm tingling caused by a two bulged discs in my neck, I awoke after the 4th day at home to terrible right shoulder pains. I took more Norco as I assumed my body was feeling the fusion pains. Two days later after a shower, as I was raising my hands to dry my head I realized that my right shoulder blade was sticking out grotesquely. I freaked out thinking I had popped my shoulder out of socket. I immediately went to the emergency room. It was 1am and I think the attending Dr thought I was some crazy man trying to get pain medication. They sent me home like I was some pill junky without any care or treatment. No xray or anything. The emergency room Dr told me to contact my surgeon the next day. My surgeons office told me the next morning that they couldn't help me out with a dislocated shoulder and to go see my regular doctor. My regular doctor gave an x-ray to see if infact my shoulder was popped out of socket. It was not. It was fine, yet she had never seen anything like what was happening to my shoulder blade as I raise my right arm to shoulder level.  All that was confirmed that day was that my shoulder was NOT popped out of socket and that she had no idea why it was popping out.  I was sent home with muscle relaxers. At the 5 week post op Surgeons visit, the Surgeon assistant was equally puzzled as I explained my shoulder situation. The Surgeon soon came in and smartly told me it was WINGING SCAPULA based upon an issue of the LONG THORACIC NERVE.  He hinted that I might have had this problem before he performed my cervical fusion. I didn't challenge him as I tried to remain optomistic. I did infact NOT have this problem with my winging scapula before surgery.  The surgeon did not give me any guidance either. No excercises or to whom I might seek guidance for the problem i was now having. Maybe he assumed that it was just trauma based on the fusion and that after some amount of time it would all correct itself. He only told me to come back in 6 weeks for ACDF followup.  I am a little worried. That is putting it mildly. I went home, googled myself crazy with research. I have decided to do some stretching and muscle strengthening excercises. I am going back to the gym Oct 1, 2012 to begin my typical gym routine workout. I plan to go slow as that is clearly because I haven't been to the gym since June 2012. My body muscle mass has atrophy'd quit a bit. I cannot do 5 pushups now. I honestly am scared that I will never recover from this winged scapula and I fight daily to remain optimistic. I will just work at it and hopefully it will go away. If ANYONE has had a similar experience please respond.  Today is Sept 26, 2012, 7 weeks post op.

**edited: The more I read the more I believe the injury to have been to the long thoracic nerve. My range of motion is affected. I can not bring my arm up and reach across to touch my left shoulder like if you were hugging. I cannot bring it straight up and to the point where you would be reaching back above your head. I also notice that when I bring both arms up to the tradition "muscle man flex", my right deltoid front is not being flexed. No matter how hard I try to flex my right arm in this fashion, the muscle in my bicep and shoulder do not fully flex. My scapula ( shoulder blade ) pops out when i bring the straightened arm up and across the front of me. It is basically doing exactly like the examples I have been reading about. I'm definitely disappointed now. I know it has been only 7 weeks, but I read how people have had this going on for years and it is debilitating. It doesn't make for a positive out look. I will continue to fight the urge to give up. Please reply if you have had a similar situation

I have that exact injury,its very rare...im due to see the surgeon again this month who is going to decide wether or not to operate..as surgery is the only way it can be fixed (but they wait 3yrs to make sure the nerve doesnt regenerate as surgery us destructive).ive had my injury about 3 yrs now n surgery is the only option..via a major pectoralis tendon transfer...taking ur pec muscles from ur chest and putting them in ur back...its serious,big surgery...n no garentee it'l work,ur arm n shoulder will never return to normal or thats what ive been told.

Alot to take in but if you'd like to chat about it no problem

Hmmmm, that's not good.  We're going through something similar.  First ACDF surgery had "hardware failure."  Second resulted in winged scapula.  We are not having fun.

Hello, any updates here. Me too.

I have the same problem I had c5 c6 c7 fusion I woke up from surgery screaming my shoulder hurt bad . They sent me down for an mri which showed my rotator cuff been torn an I was having pain in shoulder blade . I was in hospital for 4 days an complaining my right shoulder blade is hurting . They did nothing I was tasking off the gown an my fiance noticed a bone sticking out of my back she went nuts calling the nurse and doctors in . She was devastated on what she saw . My surgeon never seen anything like this he said . I went to his office a week later of pain in my neck and shoulder and mussel spasms all down my right arm I had surgery September 30th 2016 . I visited 9 hospital since of the pain I was at level 10 each time . They juiced me up an sent me on my way I went to rush 4 time spent 4 days each time took mri an cat scans found that I had damage to my long serastic nerve . Told my surgeon this he ordered emg witch noted he cut that nerve-on the table . Now I'm going university of Chicago they took mri also found spurs in the back of my neck with my surgeon didn't get out been in so much pain . Setting up for another surgery they have to go in the back of neck get spurs out then put plates in . An still trying to find out how to get my winged scapula fixed

I 100% understand you
Samething here 2X fused..
Dr.Barth Green the Neuro God!
All along its been the Long Thoracic Nerve
I live in hell, Im now researching
To Who? I SHOULD GO TO
Dr. had the balls to say to me 4 your own
Good keep the MIAJ Collar longer
Gave me a script, 4 Clonopin.
1 week after being home, I called
Mrs. NURSE PRACTICIONER
Im saying I feel this migrating I call it
The BLACK CLOUD Sending these sensation waves by the base of my neck C-6 C-7 T-1
Her answer was that's the neck brace
No no no
With all due respect SO YOU KNOW THIS MAKES MY ROUND 2 OF WEARING THIS
BRACE, & yes indeed, I know the pain from
It jabbing onto my skin (rubbing)
N muscle spams per say... Mrs Nurse
The black cloud" is within deeper inside.
Seriously??
Aside, from saying to her,
I still have this restraining
Pain/ jagged stabing / a ball like,a knot of
Tissue. That when I leaned against the edge corner of a wall pressing onto it..
It grinds, like shattering glass hurting along
The vertebraes "A LINE" hint """DOWNWARDS
Cervically to the midback.
I BEGGED HER TO PLEASE LETS GET
MRI OF MY THORACIC
In my head I thought it was due to the fact
That Im sandwished being
FUSED NECK & LUMBAR

BECAUSE MY EXPECTATIONS
WERE NOT MET

1) REASON 4 MY SECOND ACDF WAS
TO GET RID OFF THIS VISCIOUS
TRIANGLE SHOULDER MID BACK
NEVK
2) THERE'S SOMETHING GOING ON
BETWEEN NECK/MIDBACK
3) wearing a bra hurts

These incompetent INEP STAFF
CANNOT SEE FURTHER THAN THEIR
HANDBOOK MANUAL
STUPID NURSE...
P.A. R.N. ETC
IF THE PATIENT HAS BEEN /BEING
FUSED FROM C-3 & NOW to C-7
WoW n her complaints are.
Shoulder mid back n still same neck pain
Ribcage
N patient gets MRI 4 THORACIC
N LUCKILY MY THORACIC IS OK (4 NOW)

Ummm so what is your JOB
To repeat, the same generic print out
Oh your pain is from the same
Universal f neck brace

1month later.. I did go to the gym
4 mere purpose of testing my range of
Motion tricep/bicep / chest flyes range of
Motion
WELLL HELLO HELLO LEFT SHOULDER HERE WE GO.. UNABLE TO MOVE MY
ARM... ASAP. Literally I ran over 2
The building next to KENDALL LAFITNES
To Dr.Ponaco my hero
ASAP. "PRP" LOCALIZED INJURY
Very fortunatelly although it really hurt
It helped/prevented Shoulder tear.

NOW, DR. LOVELY GREEN TO THIS.DAY
NEGATES & SPINS ME AROUND..
With, Saying (to cover his reputable name)
Instructed patient to abstain from
Body Building..
Meanwhile, I was applying 4 disability
He had the nerve, to say That patient
Was laughing.. if a patient is laughing
Its indicating, that you're not in such
Pain, n on top
Advising that, he doesn't recommend
The patient taking opiods., that he's
Not prescribing Dr.
Woah..
Not only that, 4 one Im worser, then before
You laugh at me, ignore my ongoing condition
These medical notes, will B going for my
Case, then Im a junky
How about, listening to the problem at hand.
Im guessing that
He felt threaten, oh Lord because
This one time, my fiance a 6'4
GERMAN IRISH MAN 300lbs of
SOLID ROCK MUSCLE his German Eagle tatoo showing on calf ..
We both, looked at each other n sadly
Smiled... because, of his Body Building
Comment was so insulting and a joke.

Ive atrophied 146lbs Now to 119lbs
ALTHOUGH. I HAVE MRI
CLEARLY STATES. SCAPULAR RHOMBOID EDEMA.
& DID SAY & SHOWED 2 HIM
BEFORE SURGERY & EVERY TIME AFTER
I WENT THERE 4 MY BS POST OPS
VISITS.
He 100% denied.. my problem
Offcourse, the problem began from
Prior Neck ACDF. C-3 C-5 @ LEVEL 5
ITS WHERE THE LONG THORACIC NERVE
STARTS
ROUND ACDF The incision was done from
The opposite side much harder access
(Clavicle) the removed older hardware
Also, this still I dont understand
Level under is "Flat" nerve is compressed (L)
so why? Not do the whole thing. ..
I had to get this Dr. Because of insurance
Yet, OMG. 2 Other Drs. did say
Your neck is really messed up
Therefore. FRONT & BACK SURGERY
WELL.... HOW COULD I QUESTION?
MR. DR. BARTHOLOME GREEN
Same Dr. Who fused Gloria Stephan
Same Dr.who, helped out HAITI
The Chairman & professor of
Universiry of Miami Neurosurgical Dept.

Ive had surgery on both my wrists

Meanwhile, aside from also having, my
Lower Back fused. Umm
N Why?
Another Dr. FRIED MY MEDIAL BRACH
L-4 L'5 Radio frequency
PERMANENTLY MUTILATED LIMB
GOOD THING THEN I HAD A SLIGHT
DIFFERENCE. ... & MUCSLE SIZE
Meanwhile... I did noticed certain,difficulties
Free Bar Squadding/ lunges
The SILENT MONSTER COOKING
Vertebraes seriously displaced
NOW STABILIZED
TORN LABRUM HIP BOTH KNEES TO B
REPLACED. Managing the knees & hips
With "PRP"
The HORROR PAIN SCAPULAR/RHOMBOID
RIBCAGE & OBVIOUSLY AT SITE
CERVICALThoracic junction
N WOW.. LEFT LEG NOW SCIATIC
ISCHIAL TUBEROSOTY UPPER HAMSTRING
4 the last 4-5 On & Off
Roxycodone 30 & Oxycontin
So getting off is also anther nightmare
PARALYTIC ILIUS
Finally I survive the 3-4-5 days of hell
Ok No more opiods
YEAH. RIGHT.
I SPEND 1Hour just 4 stretching
Feel better 4 about 20mins
(body's temperature )
To then, realize one more time
I can't everything hurts
Aleve .... voltaren lidocain
Again.... back to helll

Oh my I'm reading all this have my neurosurgeon on Monday same problem is their no good outcome at all