Hi you all,

Since 5 months ago, I am suffering cervical hernias in both C5-C6 and C6-C7. I just went to see a doctor when my left triceps and left hand started to weaken. I consulted different medical opinions, and some of them recommend surgery but others don't. I am currently taking oral corticosteroidal antiinflamatories to see if my problem relieves.

If any one had an experience with those medications (positive or negative) please share it.

Thank you all,

Rick

Usibg such medications can bring about many complications of the G.I tract. WHat iwould recommend is to see a chiropractor whos graduated from a Reputable school and have them take a look. I have had great experience and many others have had the same experiences. Lets face it u have nothing to lose give a try.

I have the same thing. Did it to myself moving a mattress on my head last year and aggravated it again kayaking. If feels like pain right where the "hump" is in the back of your neck, extends down the shoulder on the left side, on the back on the upper left arm, extending down the top of the forearm, wrist hurts and middle knuckle feels like a bee stung it or someone is pulling my finger back the wrong way. I am taking methylprednisolone by sandoz, its Rx. Dr. says its to shrink swelling as its the disk pushing on the nerve that is causing the pain. To also help with the pain, something narcotic like vicoden, flexeril, etc. It takes about two or three weeks for the pain to subside. Confirm how bad the herniation is with an MRI, if it's just herniation, then try to avoid surgery, if it's a disk rupture or protruding where there is no way its going to quit pushing on the nerve, find a board certified surgeon. They are either going to remove the disc and fuse the two vertebrae or get cadavar (dead body) disk and replace it. Remember with herniation there is swelling and with swelling there is fluid and fluid eventually gets re-absorbed back into the body but it takes a couple of weeks.

My husband was rearended in a car accident last July. He was hit so hard it snapped my driver seat and broke it. At the time he was diagnosed with whiplash and given flexeril and vicodin and sent to physical therapy. After a month he was weaned off the vicodin and the pain was very intense, with massive headaches. They did an MRI and found he had a bulging disc at the c5-c6 that was pinching a nerve and gave him an oral steroid antiinflammatory called medrol. but discontinued the physical therapy. they did this twice with the medrol. It didn't help. He was then prescribed relpax for the headaches, told he was having migraines. His orthopedist sent him to a spine specialist for cortisone shots and was told he didn't need them at the time and to come back if they got worse. Well, we kept going back to the doctor saying he was getting worse. No one listened. A week ago he lost all function in his left arm. He couldn't even hold a pen to sign his name to the hospital registration. They did another MRI. That disc that was bulging is now herniated and he has nerve damage. So we now have an appt. with a neurosurgeon to see what can be done to "fix" my husband. At this point we have no idea if the nerve damage is permanent. He has to wear a neck brace at all times. If he doesn't the headaches come back in full force which no medication can touch including percosets and he loses the function of his arm again.
The point of this long post is PLEASE don't mess around with a herniated disc. And don't take no from your doctor. Make them listen to you. My husband may now be permanently disabled because we couldn't make them listen to us. One doctor red flagged him as a faker and a drug seeker so noone else would listen to him when we said he was in pain.

I have herniated disks from C3-C7. While driving a schoolbus, I was rear ended by a semi. I have had surgery to fuse C5-C6, that took care of the stabbing pain in my left arm. I am in more pain now than I was in prior to surgery. I have become immune to every narcotic they have prescribed in the past 3 years since this began. Now I'm being told this is pain I will have forever. I have been released to light duty work with many restrictions, and a 60% percent disability. I am a 38 year old single mother. Is this the end of the road for me. There are very few things I can do that do not cause pain, taking a shower is unbearably painful. Lifting my hands over my shouulders to wash my hair, I'm considering shaving it. The doctor now has prescribed a new medication called Opana, I take that and Opana ER, plus a whole slew of other meds, total of 16 pills a day, and I'm still in pain. 8-| . I am not quite sure what else to do.

Thanks for listening!

TM Allen

Oh MY GOD. This information is unbelievable. I had a car rear end me and total my car, leaving me with the same situation your husband is in on 1/4/07. I just had MRI's done and I got the exact same diagnosis by my doctor. Physical therapy, and pills. Thank you so much for this info. I'm going back to my dr. and push for more tests now before it's too late. You are a savior....thanks and good luck to your husband.

I was in a car accident in november 2006, am a RN, and have been out of work since. I first had pain and little improvement in range of motion of neck, which led to increased pain and diagnosed with whiplash and sent for Physical therapy and rest. on december 8 was diagnosed with a bulging disc at C3-4 and C5-6. Have had 3 opinions, two from neurosurgeons and they both suggest to go with conservative treatment. I a now still going through physical therapy and have had one round of trigger point injections and will to a 2nd round next week. I am still in pain every day and the headaches are getting worse. I feel like no one is listening either, I don't want to jump the gun to have surgery and be in worse shape and pain, but I am afraid I will ultimately end with that nerve damage and more pain.

I am in the same boat and am looking for options. I have been suffering with this and wonder if anyone has heard of 9000x machines?

I can stand quite a bit of pain...however...
I was in two car accidents about 8 years ago...hit from the front in one and the rear in the other. I've had neck and shoulder pain ever since, though daily exercises prescribed by physical therapist help and once frequent intense head aches are now infrequent. In October 06, I awakened with severe right shoulder pain. I was diagnosed via MRI with a partial thickness tear (left shoulder) and full thickness tear (right shoulder) and disk bulging (C4/C5 and C5/C6). About a week later I had yet another accident, not a car accident, and was diagnosed with costochondritis. What a disaster! Cortisone shots to both shoulders in October are wearing off. I was advised by surgeon to schedule surgery for right shoulder. But now my left shoulder, upper arm and sometimes my hand are bothering me more than my right shoulder. Any advise?

Oh...I'm an over 50, 100 pounds with by boots on, female who tended to do work for myself that I probably should've let others do (gravel hauling, pick axing, piano or couch moving, etc. etc. Hate to let that independence go...but can't hardly dry my own hair at the moment.

I was taking a power nap on the emergency lane of a freeway and was rear-ended by a truck at about 70mph, on Feb 11 2007.

severely disrupted my c6 and c7 and fractured my c5. had it all fused together. I suffered nerve damage, which still has constant tingling in my right hand. on cold days my right shoulder, biceps, forearm, all hurt like hell.. how long does it usually take for damaged nerves to repair? winter's coming soon and i fear the pain that is to come. i live in Australia hence the winter..

Hi ; I´ve got the same situtuation as yours , almost loosing all triceps funtions and awfull pain (no drugs helped). I took the c6-c7 "bond" surgey and the results are great...1 week post-surgery , lots of pain, 3 weeks after surgery , doing just fine , back to normal life with only some minor stress points, piece of cake.

If your motion system (triceps) starts to be affected, get serious about surgery bacause if you don´t , you will loos all triceps funtion with no recovery.

regards alf

I have the same issue with no triceps strength. What is bond surgery.

I am a 39 year old marathon runner who is very fit. For no apparent reason (no accident etc), my C5 disc began to bulge in mid-February 2007 and became unbelievably painful (shoulder and arm) about a month and a half later. I took a cycle of Medrol, which calmed things down a bit, but I still have pain and numbness in my right arm. The pain is not severe, but it is bad enough to alter my mood and get me down. One ortho recommended surgery and another one said it will likely heal on its own. Does anyone know how long I should give this before considering surgery? It has been a little over a month since I had extreme pain. I can lead a relatively normal life with the "milder" pain now, but my life would be so much better if it were gone. If I need to give it, say, six months to run its course, I am willing to do that. But if the outlook is bleak, I'd like to know that. Thanks.

My mom has a cervical herniation in discs C3 through C7 and we are running out of options. She does not want to try surgery, but she has tried many other things. She tried acupuncture, anti-inflamitory medicines, and many other things. What other options are known to help reduce the pain while avoiding surgery. Thanks!

hello to you i have also suffered the same as all you for goodness sake please have the surgery to fix your spine i was hurt at work and went to their dr.i was told i had a pulled muscle in my shoulder and neck area was sent to strength training for 3 weeks before i griped enough to where they gave me an mri on my shoulder and not my neck.the whole time in that three weeks i was working my normal job as a lumper.was told i had a slap tare in my right tendon and authritis in my shoulder. not my byceip muscle was tore and so were my tendons they had to be wired and anchored.still nothing was done about my neck until more gripes and complaints and after two more months of strength training.i was given 3 mri's had spinal stenosis and adema a bruised spinal cord and had to have my c5-c6 c6-c7 removed and replaced they were rubbing up against my spinal cord evertime i moved.later on my c3-c4 will have to be removed and fused as well.you need to have the surgery for you have same of the same symtoms as what i had.im better now still in pain but not like i was all my lower pain is gone but still have numbness in my right hand left shoulder burns between the shoulder blades and my strength in my right arm is getting weaker as time goes by and my left leg is weak with a warm sensation in my uperthe reason is i went 9 months with a broke neck still working for three weeks and strength training for 2 months and 3 weeks with a broke neck and my bycep muscle torn in half and my tendons tore please get the surgery butch baker jr