My husband is 10 days post op ACDF surgery to repair herniation with nerve root compression at c5/c6. I know it has only been 10 days, but he is having severe pain still in the right arm. I notice his motor skills are awful and he is right handed he is also having balance issues (not sure if this is from the surgery or the pain medications). I am very worried, I have never seen him so depressed and in so much pain. The pain in his arm is just almost as bad as before surgery. Can someone tell me if this is normal? The NS says to give it time, but I have to wonder if they are just "blowing it off". I read a lot of people continue to have numbness or tingling, but haven't heard many people complain of actual arm pain continuing. Would love to hear we are not alone.

I dont know if I can help but I can tell you some things that I know first hand.

I had pain in my left arm prior to surgery where I had C4-5-6 fused. After the surger I had severe pain for about 2 weeks and I found out that what My sis told me was true... You will feel like you made a mistake for quite some time after the surgery but you will get better. I did, BUT, I now have pain in my right arm and my NS says all my other pains are from the surgery but the pain in my right arm is from C6-7 which he did not work on.

So now 12 weeks after surgery and I am supposedly still healing from it. I still have not had an XRay to see if I have fused. So give it time and if things continue, be sure to ask your NS about it.

Good luck,
Rob

I had ACDF on 11/03/08, and still have the same symptoms as before the surgery..EVEN WORSE! My mobility in my neck has improved, but my left arm aches, is very weak, both hands, arms go numb when I try to do ANYTHING! Even holding a fork to eat. My side of neck, shoulder, biceps, collar bone area constantly ache. My neuro surg. took an xray & says I am fusing. He is working with my pain Doctor having me go to pt, had a stellate ganglion block (did not help), saw a rheumatologist(no arthritis), and on Feb 3rd I am getting another EMG. At this point I am so worried about going back to work, if that's even possible. I also have 2 bulging disks @L4 & L5 and got an Epidural 2 weeks ago, guess what-- no improvement!! I have alot of occipital pain, causing migrains, too. I currently take Cymbalta, Topamax, Imipramine, Oxycontin, Imitrex. Hoping for answers.....Tired of pain.....this has been ongoing for 41/2 years...now I know I'm not alone
Amy