I had an anterior disc replacement with fusion in December 2005, since then my neck and head still have alot of pain and stiffness. I have tried physical therapy,streches,and massages, nothing seems to help. My surgeon states the fusion and disc replacement are healing correctly. Why am I have so much pain and stiffness?

I had the Rabea Cage with no fusion on Augest 7th of this year. I was given the impression that recovery was easy and fast. I'm in pain from my ankles to the base of my skull. I can't say how much life sucks at this point.

I have found that craniosacral therapy helps. It took 3, 1 to 1.5 hour visits but it helped. I feel like I am actually recovering now.

I had the upper shoulder pain for a good 5-6 years before anyone thought it was more than a pulled muscle. At 31 year old, and the pain esclating I was sent for an MRI. Thus, my medical group believes that my body got used to compsenating for it and is going through its own trama in recovery.

If you are losing faith in yourself and recovery, I'd consider taking a low dose antidepressant. Just to get you over the hump.

In Sept 2005 I had C-5, C-6 disc replacement and fusion. The latest, greatest resorbable graft was used. I have been to physical therapy 2 times, another neuro for second opinion and still remain in constant pain. Actually the pain is greater after surgery than it was prior to. I have severe muscle spasms in my neck, shoulders, my arm,wrist and thumb feels like it's been through a marathon without much exurtion and I do not have full movement in my neck. My latest diagnosis is Myofacial syndrome/fibromyalgia. It seems that at 46 yrs old this pain is permanent.
Anyone have any answers to why so many people (I personally know 3 that is not doing well after this type surgery) are going through this? Has anyone found a doctor who cares enough find a cure?
I am also tired of medical bills (same test over and over) and feeling like a guinea pig.
I did find and post a complaint to the FDA (form 3500) and hope that all of you other people that are not doing well after this surgery do the same.
I was promised I'd recover quickly from this surgery...1 1/2 yrs later I'm still miserable.

I had C5/C6 replaced in Feb 1996, with titanium plate and screws. I had the bone graft from the hip. That was very painful. I have a high tolerance to pain, and never had a single pain med or injection following the surgery. I went home the next day, against dr wishes. I was told that I would probably have to have more surgery within 10 years. Well, now I am scheduled for another fusion on Feb 21. They are going to remove the plate and C7, and use donor bone and a bigger plate, and scrape off all the bone spurs I have along my entire neck. The pain I have been in the last 7 months has been excruciating, but the shoulder pain was greatly relieved by 2 cervical epidurals. I am fortunate to have the same surgeon who performed the original surgery. I am scared to have surgery again, but more afraid not to, as I have no quality of life right now, and I am losing my motor function in hands and arms every day. There will probably always be pain, but you just have to learn to live with it. You will adjust to it eventually, and make sure if it worsens to find a wonderful Dr and Pain specialist to help you. Don't be afraid to quit one doctor for a better one-after all this is the only life you have, and if your Dr isn't helping you to cope with any pain issues you have, then he is a nitwit and you need to search for someone else. Yes, this is an awful thing to go through, but years ago I would have been either paralyzed or dead; it helps to always try to look at the other side of the coin.

Good luck to you and thanks for your post. I too was in extreme pain prior to my surgery in 2005. My job requires a lot of arm, hand and neck movements and I got to the point I could no longer stand doing my work.
After surgery I tried to return to work and did for 8 months thinking within time I would get better. Unfortunately I had to quit a good paying job after 13 yrs of working for that company because I found I could not move my neck and had worsened pain in my extremities.
It sounds like you have been through this before so you know the consequences and it sounds as if you have no other choice. As for me I have to wonder if surgery was rushed into and wish I would have done my research.
My surgeon did not relay all of the facts and I was absolutely shocked when I did research after the fact. Then I discovered in my research that there had been illegal body part harvesting taking place in the east during the time of my implant. Needless to say I am angry. I had to be tested for HIV, syphillis and hepatitus. Thank God the test turned out negative but there are supposedly other infectious diseases and a greater risk of the graft causing cancer because they do not know the actual of condition of the body that the tissue was harvested from.
That is over now, meaning tissue should be safe. But I highly recomend anyone having this type of surgery to do tons of research. Ask your Dr. what type (name and manufactorer) of implant is being used. Research it. After surgery ask the Dr or hospital for the lot number of your implant in case you need it later. There are alot of recalls on the implants.
Once again good luck to you...I wish you a speedy recovery.

I am a 39 yr old mom of two small kids. I am approaching my one year mark since my fusion. I had to have emergency surgery with plates, screws, and cadaver bone because 2 discs ruptured/broke apart and the pieces embedded in the spinal cord. He said I was 1 mm away from paralysis. My dr. was honest though that the surgery was not to alleviate pain, but to prevent paralysis. Tests revealed lots of spinal cord and nerve damage.

One year out, I still have terribly painful knots between my neck and shoulder, pain in C6, right where the last screw is, and pain that goes around the shoulder blades. I can barely stand to carry my own purse or work on the computer. I went to physical therapy for 3 months, 2x per week and it did help. However, it gets aggitated easily. I'm on celebrex for inflammation and that has helped quite a bit. I also take Darvocet and Vicadin when needed, but not on a daily basis. I am going to try massages weekly (hope my insurance will pay) to see if I can get some relief. It is definitely frustrating!!!!