Hi everyone, I searching for answers. Last year 2008, I herniated my C5-C6 disc, I had horrible pain in my right arm, shoulder, and back. My fingers went numb instantly. My spine surgeon recommended a Fusion ASAP, which I refused. After a few weeks my Dr gave me cordizone pills, which eliminated my pain. Now over a year later my pain is still gone, except for an occasion discomfort, but its bearable. My fingers are still numb, but I have full use of them. I met with my Dr recently, who still says I need the Fusion, if not I will never feel my fingers. I'm wondering if I should get the Fusion since I have no pain and are not taking any medications/pain killers or even tylenol? I have surgery scheduled within two-three weeks. PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME ADVICE ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spinal surgery involves a lot of risk. You have to weigh the possible benefits of the surgery against the possible complications resulting from the surgery. I advise that you seek a second opinion. You may want to try a form of spinal decompression at home to see if this will relieve the numbness in your fingers. Lie down in a horizontal position. Have someone gently pull your head in the direction away from your shoulders.

I agree get a 2nd opinion. There are risks in doing nothing just as there are risks in doing something. A good decision too late is nothing more than a bad decision. Numbness, weakness and nerve damage are all synonymous. Nerves are perm checking out with numbness and severe pain. You may recover but then the muscle and fine motor control will never be the same. You will loose muscle volume and there will be fewer musculoskeletal neurons controlling the same muscle mass. So your arm will fatigue quicker and quiver more.