I have heard that there are some new medications that supposedly might help a lot to children that suffer from Usher syndrome. Is that true? I just need some hope for my small child, who has been diagnosed with Usher type 1. I just cannot believe that he will have to be blind and deaf for the rest of his life. So, what do you know about those aminoglycosides in Usher syndrome therapy?

I have heard that it really is something new, and the initial research results have just been published. The mentioned medications are helping with this condition, and it is all related to preventing the absence of the proteins in the cells which is caused by the gene mutation. Still, the drugs have shown a high level of toxicity too and I assume that it is something that has to be eliminated before the drug can be put on the market.