Hi, I am 34 years old and I am suffering from cystic fibrosis which affected my lungs. It shortens breath and makes my breathing very difficult. I am using all symptomatic medications and I have changed my nutrition habits but still I feel pretty bad. I have heard of gene therapy which will be able to cure this disease so I would like to know something more about it.

Hi, as someone who is also suffering from cystic fibrosis I am very interested in these attempts to find cure for this disease. As I have heard main idea is to use genetic therapy which would be inhaled trough the lungs airways and replace cells with defective genes. Process of replacement would do the viruses and they would bring healthy gene to the sick cells. Problem is in the fact that our organism has good defending system against viruses and allergens so till now these effects lasted very short part of time.

My son has CF. I have done research on gene replacement therapy only to find that many patients were becoming more sick by getting leukemia, which is really scary on top of CF.
I believe the basis of replacement therapy is injecting your body with a "virus" that containd DNA without CF. For these cells to reproduce they go into your cells and are supposed to keep reproducing until the cells with CF die off. This is a great idea but unfortunately the research has proven it to not be effective at this time. But I keep praying that the cure is out there somewhere.

I have done a lot of research on gene therapy for CF. I have also found the data to be quite promising. They have found a way to carry the healthy DNA into the membrane of the CF cells by using a non viral transporter. Although new studies show the increase in PFTs doesn't last very long it is still an improvement. If you want to know more you should search for studies conducted in the UK more then the USA.