Hi everyone.

My friend from Australia called me today. She was really upset because she found out that she has Antiphospholipid Syndrome. She asked me what do I know about it and I really don't know a lot at all. I have heard about this disease like three months ago, but I don't know anyone who have problems with it. I don't even know what are the symptoms and what are the causes of it.

But I got scared, to be honest. Is there any way for you to tell me what are the most common causes of Antiphospholipid Syndrome?

Thank you. 

Hi Coffee,

Antiphospholipid syndrome is when the immune system attacks normal proteins (phospholipids)  in your blood.  This leads to clotting of the blood.

There is often no known cause.  In some cases it can be a result of diseases such as lupus or as a result of certain medications.

Symptoms can be severe, such as a stroke, kidney problems, cardiac/circulation problems, or multiple miscarriages.  A common symptom is blood clots.  Others include headaches or having increased risk of bleeding, due to clotting problems.

Treatment is managing the tendency of blood clots to form, usually with a blood thinner.

As of now there is no known cure.

Hope it helps.

Hey guys,

Yes, the worst part of this is that there is still no cure and it can be a quite nasty disease.

There are two types of Antiphospholipid Syndrome, regarding whether or not there is a visible cause of it. The first type is called primary Antiphospholipid Syndrome, this is if there's no known underlying reason, such as an autoimmune disorder,

The second type is called secondary Antiphospholipid Syndrome, this is if you have systemic lupus erythematosus or another autoimmune disorder, certain infections, or have taken certain medications. 

I'm afraid that your friend is stuck with this disease now, she can only use medications for what medic dan wrote.

Hey guys,

Make me Coffee, did your friend talk to her doctor already? She needs to if she didn't, I'm also curious to know what did he suggest her to do and did he prescribe any medications for her.

Doctors are usually prescribing anticoagulants for people with this disease but from time to time, you run across some very weird treatment options which sometimes actually work. Also, he might recommend her to go on a safe vitamin K diet. If she is taking proper care of her health, this shouldn't be life threatening but if she isn't, it can definitely be.

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Make me Coffee. Unfortunately, currently there is no cure for this so she will probably have this disease for the rest of her life. She needs to talk to her doctor as soon as possible in order to get some prescription medications. She is probably going to have to use these medications every day for the rest of her life. At least she won't have any problems because of this disease if she keeps following her doctor's instructions. Dietary changes, medications, and lifestyle changes can all help. She should quit smoking if she is a smoker as well.

Hey Make me Coffee,

Well, it is important that she sees her doctor and starts treating this as soon as possible if she doesn't want to get any complications because of it. Complications from antiphospholipid syndrome include kidney failure, stroke, cardiovascular problems, lung problems and pregnancy complications like miscarriages, stillbirths, premature delivery and high blood pressure during pregnancy.

Be sure to tell her this if she is refusing to go to the doctor or to take medications that he prescribed to her. This must be treated or it can end with her death. She needs to take it seriously and to start taking medications for blood clots.

Hello everyone. Antiphospholipid antibodies are present in almost 15 to 20 percent of all cases of deep vein thrombosis or blood clots, and in almost one - third of new strokes occurring in people under the age of 50.The most common causes are those antibodies indeed. I think that there is no other cause that is found like cause of this syndrome. That is why treatment and diagnosis is very important and once you are diagnosed with this disease. Adequate therapy in the most cases can prevent the recurrence of the symptoms. I don’t know what is the best treatment in this case.

Hello there. Well, the exact cause of APS is still unknown. APS seems to be related to the possible presence of antiphospholipid antibodies in your blood. It is probably it. The immune system makes proteins called antibodies and they are helpful and do jobs such as fighting the infections that are attacking your body. In this disease unhelpful antibodies are formed as well and these attack a normal substance called phospholipid. But I don’t think that doctors will ever tell you what are the main cause, they can only guess what the cause is but it is very, very hard to guess.

Hi guys. Thank you so much for helping me. I was not in this site for a couple of days for some private issues, but now I can see that you are trying to help my friend as much as you can. She went to see her doctor and she is OK, she is fine. One doctor (he is very young actually) told her that the main reason because she has this syndrome is because she is smoking. Could this be true? Could this be one of the option? She is a passionate smoker and it is going to be very hard for her to quit smoking. 

Hello everyone. No, that is definitely not a cause! Of course that smoking a cigarette is not healthy and I am totally against it, but you need to know that cigarette could not possible cause Antiphospholipid syndrome. That is way too impossible. Maybe this doctor told this to her because he saw that she is smoking a lot? That is only that I believe. And I support the idea that she should stop smoking because it won't help her at all, it can only make her condition worse. But like I already told you, that is not the cause. Read the main causes in the posts that you can find before mine.