Hi, I would like to know something about the effects of antihypertensive medications. I know that they are used for the treatment of high blood pressure, but I was wondering if they have some additional effects. Every drug influences more than just the thing it was designed for, so what are the additional effects of antihypertensive therapy.

Hi, you are absolutely right about the effects of drugs. Because our body is an entity, whatever we intake effects the whole. That is the case with antihypertensive medicines also. However, high blood pressure is a complex condition that affects not only the cardiovascular system, but other organs as well. And the mechanism of the high blood pressure pathogenesis is so complex that the drugs have to affect number of organs to produce results. Basically, drugs affect blood vessels and heart because these are the main organs influenced by high blood pressure. But, some antihypertensive medication works throughout the kidneys and control the process of the water elimination. The receptors for high blood pressure medicines are the part of the autonomic nervous system. These receptors are found all over our body and some small concentrations of the drugs may get to them. This can cause side effects such as dizziness, headache and photosensitivity.