Hi, few weeks ago I went to see my doctor because I had terrible head aches. At first I have tried to solve the problem on my own with the use of pain killers, but they did not help. The doctor measured my blood pressure and told me it is higher than it should be. He advised me to change my eating habits and prescribed me with atenolol. Could you tell me what kind of drug atenolol is? Even though my doctor prescribed it, I am reluctant to use it because he did not explain the effects and side effects of atenolol to me.

Hi, atenolol is a drug used to treat high blood pressure. It is a drug from the group of beta blockers. Atenolol and the rest of beta blockers work by blocking the beta receptors in the heart. These receptors are a part of our sympathetic nervous system. They control the strength and frequency of heart contractions. By blocking them, atenolol helps the heart to relax and to pump out less blood which affects blood pressure by lowering it. The main side effect of atenolol is that it can provoke the type two diabetes. This fact was only recently discovered, so the doctors prescribe atenolol now less than they used to before. On the other hand atenolol does not pass into the brain structures and because of this, it is much safer than the rest of the beta blockers. You should not wait to start with your therapy, because high blood pressure is an illness that can cause heart attacks and strokes if it is left untreated. If you have any doubts when it comes to atenolol, you should feel free to talk to your doctor about them. There is a great variety of antihypertensive drugs that he can prescribe if you are not satisfied with atenolol.