I have heard that Atenolol in combination with one more medicine help to treat high blood pressure and angina. My doctor told me it is done by relaxing the blood vessels. I found out this allows blood and oxygen to circulate more freely around the body, lowering blood pressure. Off course I could understand this is reducing the strain on the heart and reducing the risk of angina occurring. However, before I start to use this medicine I would like to hear more about Atenolol.

Atenolol is a beta-adrenaceptor antagonist, and is more commonly known as a beta-blocker. Beta-blockers are competitive inhibitors and interfere with the action of stimulating hormones on beta-adrenergic receptors. I think you should know that beta-blockers could be subdivided into two distinct groups, known as beta 1 and beta 2 blockers. Beta 1 blockers mainly affect the heart, while beta 2 blockers mainly affect receptors in bronchial tissue. Most beta-blockers are non-specific, so they have both beta 1 and beta 2 effects to human organism. Atenolol works by competing for receptor sites on, in Atenolol's case, cardiac muscle as your doctor must know. This slows down the strength of the heart’s contractions and reduces its oxygen requirements. Beside these effects, Atenolol helps heart about the volume of blood it has to pump. Hypertension known as high blood pressure may be treated with these drugs as your doctor prescribed you. This is possible because of their ability to increase the diameter of the blood vessels thus allowing blood to flow under less pressure.