Hi, my father I suffering from high blood pressure. He takes his antihypertensive drugs regularly. However, sometimes he also likes to have a drink or two. I keep telling him that alcohol and antihypertensives do not go well together, but he just doesn't want to listen. He says that he is not heavy drinker and that alcohol will not hurt him. Can you please tell me what the effects of alcohol drinking while the person is on antihypertensives are?

Hi, alcohol and antihypertensive drugs do not go well together. It has been shown that regular drinking can even cause for the blood pressure to rise even more and diminish the effects of antihypertensives. But a glass of vine every now and then might help for the blood pressure to drop. There are many types of antihypertensive drugs. Alcohol does not interact with every type the same way. You did not specify your father's therapy, so there is no way for me to tell you exactly how alcohol affects your father. Basically, all antihypertensives are susceptible to alcohol, but some are more sensitive than others. For instance, beta blockers react very mildly to alcohol, while calcium channel blockers are very affected by it. In any case all these information are not completely proven, so you should try to convince your father not to drink alcohol when he takes his medicine. If he doesn't want to listen to you, maybe you should talk to his doctor about the situation. I am sure that if your father hears from his doctor that alcohol and antihypertensives don't mix he will take his words more seriously.