I am about to undergo disk fusion on c4-7. I have suffered from severe chronic pain every time I would move my neck. I wanted to hear from others who underwent the same procedure if they found it beneficial or not. I am really worried as I have no idea how these things work. Any info and comment is welcome

Hi! I reckon you should do just fine, because your vertebrae will be fused with a bone graft and there will be no movement between your vertebrae and they won’t be pressing the nerves anymore that have been causing the pain. I didn’t have fusion, I had artificial disk placed between two vertebrae. I don’t know where you come from but I reckon that artificial disk placement is available only in the States for the time being. It is said that it is a bit better than using a bone to fuse the vertebrae because it allows more neck movement which seems to be limited in the fusion surgery. Anyway, back to your surgery…..I reckon you would do much better than without the surgery. Good luck!

I had 4 blown disk, C4 thru C7 and had surgery in August, UGH!
I had a comb like device inserted thru my throat and now I have titainium neck. I live in pain, when I lift, reach, turn or bend forward
the pain worsens. Will it ever end? I don't know...The doctor tells me time will heal me but I doubt it!!

YHW

I underwent a 3-level ACDF (C4-7) in June 2006. I was diagnosed with disc degenerative disease in 1990, so I went 16 years before surgery was the only option. When I finally "blew" through the remaining discs, I was in excruciating pain with little or no movement without pain. Post-op, my range of motion has improved tremendously. In fact, unless someone knows I've been through the surgery, they would never guess I had a problem with my neck.

If you revisit this post, I'd like to know how you're doing.

WOW~ I am incouraged by your recovery, thanks for responding.
I am making progress but I continue to experience pain. Funny... because I have DDD also, I was told this when I was in my twenties and I too just live with the pain. I work out/train and have my entire life so this also may have contributed to my blown disk as I lifted pretty heavy for being my size. When the forth disk blew that was all I could handle and the pain was dibilatating. Maybe I just need more time to heal : ) I'm physically in good shape and miss my gym time.

Yo

I had c6-7 fusion done in 2004. It was 100% fusion in only 4 weeks. Awesome experience. The hip pain was the worst. Now I have to have 4-5 fused. Not looking forward to that. Only having pain this time. No numbness or nerve damage. I believe I would rather have the numbeness than this crappy pain! Hang in there!

On Dec 19/07 I under went surgery for c4, c5, c6, and should of had my c7 repaired. However the surgeon did not do the c7. I am still in a tremendous amount of pain.
I have been trying desperately to find a surgeon who will fix my c7, but I have been unsuccessful.
I will never go back to the surgeon that I was referred to, and I am having no luck finding anyone that will fix what the last surgeon didn't fix.
I can't begin to tell you about the depression, from the pain, and the depression from taking the drugs that have caused weight gain.
I have not returned to work for 2 years, due to drug medication, that helps cope, and manage the pain.

I am not telling any one not to get the fusion, but make sure that you have a surgeon who does the whole job. Don't get a surgeon who when asked why he didn't fix the c7, his reply was he didn't feel it was that bad.
Since then I have been informed in order to fix the c7, all of the hardware has to come out, and basically the surgeon has to start all over.
The Surgery on Dec 19/09 was hard enough, and I almost didn't make it out of the recovery room. :cry:
So for now I am on medicaton, and I have tried physio, laser, acupuncture, no success with any of them. I will not allow any needles to be put in, or near my spine area. As far as I am concerned, when you use needles in the spine area, you are playing Russian roulett.

I am hanging onto a thread of hope that someone, somewhere will help me, and releive me of this pain that is out of this world.

Take care. :(

i been having pain& numbness in my right arm so my doctor ask if i wanted to have surgery on my neck to make room for my nerver's so i thought i would ask here what everyone thought and if anyone has had this done and would it help with migraines because i have chronic migraines 

thanks everyone          

ken

How do you feel now? With some time passed, I hope you feel better. I have to ave this surgery also. I'm scared.

YHW....how are you now.? I was fused from C5-T1 in nov 2011 and was just told today that the "fusion" has not yet occurred.

I had C 4 through C 7 fused 12 years ago. I never was really pain free afterwards, but I did see a whole lot of improvement at the time, however as the years have passed the pain has come back and I am in constant pain again.

try Dr. Joel Franks in Panama City, he just fused c4-7 for me 4-8-20013. in some pain now but, he still has to fix my c-2 in 8 weeks! he is a guru!

I had my C4-6 repaired in March of 2014; it was real painful and hard to go through; but after about 5 months I finally started to feel normal again. Then in Oct of 2014 I was in an auto accident and Fractured my C& and broke a part of it off and herniated the disc 6. Surgeon had to go back in and take your the hardware from the first surgery and redo everything and fix C7 and did a fusion again. I am doing well as can be expected. I have no feeling in my right hand/fingers and my right arm is tingly and numb. Dr. says it may heal and go away or it may stay this way; time will tell. I still have a good amount of pain and discomfort; but it is getting better. For others that is going through this all I can say is hang in there and give it time to heal; that's all anyone can do. Good Luck!