Hello! I always use paracetamol to treate fever or pain. As I am informed this is the most used drug for treatment of fever and pain with almost no side effects. I have heard recently that it is not recommended for long term use since it can damage the liver. Is it true? I am wondering are there any other risks related to paracetamol long-term use?

Hi! You are absolutely right; paracetamol is well known and used for its good analgesic and antipyretic properties. It is well tolerated; it doesn’t irritate the gastrointestinal system, affect blood circulation or affect the function of the kidneys. There are almost no side effects and no risk of addiction but it may damage the liver only when overdosed. It is also safe for children. Actually, Paracetamol is usually used in a short term therapy of fever and pain and it is not recommended for long term use. Some recent studies have showed that women who have been taking 500mg of paracetamol daily for longer period of time have increased the risk for hypertension.

I have heard that paracetamol remains the most effective and least addictive painkiller ever discovered.
I have severe, chronic pain, and just worked out last night that I have consumed a KILO of paracetamol since my pain started in March. 4 grams a day every single day, combined with morphine-based drugs, anti-epileptics and anti-inflammatories. I weigh 55kg so I am told the toxic level fpr paracetamol is about 10g per day (or about 0.2g/kg body weight).
I worry a lot about liver damage, but I have no option to stop my meds at present. I once tried to reduce the drug intake, but I ended up in hospital in agony and on intravenous morphine. I am on the waiting list for surgery that will hopefully reduce my pain. This level of paracetamol consumption can't can't be sustainable for ever, so I am very aware of looking out for early symptoms of liver damage - jaundice, loss of appetite and pale stools - none of which have happened so far. However, I was interested in the previous comment linking paracetamol to hypertension in women. I have noticed I feel a lot warmer and can hear a surging noise in my ears - I think I should go and get my blood pressure checked. Thanks and best wishes to all who need to take paracetamol long-term! :-)

I would question this answer as;

1. The medical sites say there is no long term risk.

2. The writer quotes 'women who have been taking 500mg of paracetamol daily'. The normal tablet is 500mg and normal dose is two tablets up to 4 times a day. Therefore I cannot see anyone taking a single tablet once a day and the maximum daily dose is eight times the amount quoted as being of risk.

I have been taking panadol (6 tablets a day) for two or three years, for arthritis. what side effects?

Side Effects of Paracetamol Tablet

◦High dose-usage (greater than 2,000 mg per day) of paracetamol increases the risk of upper gastrointestinal complications like stomach bleeding.
◦Heavy use of paracetamol (300 grams a year or 1 g per day on average) can lead to a condition known as 'Small Indented and Calcified Kidneys' (SICK).
◦Administering paracetamol for fever in the first year of life can lead to an increase in the incidence of asthmatic symptoms and an increased incidence of rhinoconjunctivitis and eczema at 6–7 years.
◦Paracetamol used excessively damages multiple organs, particularly the liver and kidney where toxicity from paracetamol is not from the drug itself but from one of its metabolites.

is it safe to take 2 500mg of paracetamol 4 times aday for a long period?

With all my research I am finding out that having done so myself for over 20 years yes it can and will cause damage. Talk about this to your doctor.

Lol. Paracetamol isn't the most effective pain killer ever, it's one of the least effective. It's practically useless. If it relieves any pain, it's only mild pain, and generally just due to the placebo effect. The most effective pain killers Opiates/Opoids. Oxycodone, Morphine, stuff like that, hence why if you walk into hospital with a severed arm, they will give you that rather than paracetamol. Yes, paracetamol isn't addictive, because it doesn't bloody work. Even having a shot of whiskey is way more effective at reducing pain.

1g of IV Paracetamol is an immediate source of pain relief when admitted to a hospital. Not all opioids work with all patients either. Paracetamol is not useless - you clearly have no knowledge of anaesthesia.

Where is your evidence?

Hi I have been taking zapain for 10 year daily which is 500mg of paracetamol and codeine and now I have liver and kidney damage I'm of it as of today and given just codeine in stead so mad about it I have to take a lot medications and the paracetamol has destroyed my liver and kidneys and was never told how dangerous paracetamol is long term and now have to worry about losing my life because the doctors and made a big mistake hopefully when I have the scan there something they can do I'm just praying that I've caught it in time

Whst is a longer period of time? How many days weejs ir months are we talking about?

It's works for headaches and mild pain as you said.. you can't say it doesnt work, people wouldn't have accepted it if it didnt