Hello! My grandmother suffers from osteoarthritis and she often feels pains in her fingers and toes. She usually takes two paracetamol daily for few days and when she feels better she stops. Her neighbor told her that she should take one paracetamol 500 mg daily for the best effects. My grandmother has also problems with higher blood pressure and I don’t think she should use paracetamol every day. Can she consume paracetamol daily?

Hi! Recommended dose of paracetamol for adults is two 500 mg tablets with four to six hours between doses. Since paracetamol doesn’t accumulate in the body and has no toxic effects even in longer use it is useful in treatment of osteoarthritis. But recent researches show that paracetamol may increase the risk of hypertension in female patients who take more then 500mg daily over five years. The same is with ibuprofen. As your grandmother already has problems with hypertension I think she should talk with her doctor before she decides to take any medicines for a longer period of time, even paracetamol.