I am a long term heavy marijuana smoker and was wondering, when I stop smoking will the areas of my brain, that were affected by smoking tree, be restored to its original capacity or does the brain never fully recover from long term heavy usage. If anyone knows please respond and please no Bulls*%t.
Thanks

Cannabis has other effects on the body, not just cognitive and you should know that some of them resemble tobacco use effects.
Cannabis has 4x more tar than tobacco does and it stays on lungs especially because there are no filters when you smoke joints and because you hold the smoke longer when you smoke pot. This has stronger effects on the lungs. Long term heavy pot smokers may suffer from chronic bronchitis such as coughing and wheezing and suffer from lung impairment.
Then, it has been shown that cannabis can have negative short-term effects on fertility especially on men who already have decreased sperm count.
Regarding the immune system, there is no evidence that it gets impaired by smoking weed.

As for the cognitive effects such as poor attention, memory, proceeding information, etc…..it is said that they may be impaired especially with longer use and that it is not known if they can be reversed or not. This is a very hard field for research. In the end, it has been reported that there is no structural brain damage from smoking weed but then again, it is just one of many researches and there have been plenty and all of them have different results especially because of the difficulty of analyzing the brain.

High doses of THC can cause confusion, amnesia, delusions, hallucinations, anxiety, and agitation especially in individuals who are prone to it. But these affects seem to go away once the cannabis is stopped.

I suffer from siezures and am on medication for siezure,these siezures are auras and pictures in my brain, before I pass out. As long as I on my siezure medicine I,m find. But, I 'v been smoking everyday for 30 years , a couple of hits each day..and have never quit. I have been sober 3 days now and I'm experiencing all the effect of withdrawal that I'v read about in this web site.But does anyone have any idea about the brain and siezure and marijuana withdrawal??

Well, long-term use of any chemical will alter your brain. I've found that my ability to discriminate between what is important to remember, and what is interesting to remember has been altered. But, this might be a psychological predisposition, too. I'm not good with facts.

The truth is that after 4 years of daily smoking, I quit. I feel much more clear headed. Stopping has many advantages, not the least of which is actually dealing with emotions, and facing my shortcomings. If you're running away from coping with these...you're not ready to stop.

In contrast to an earlier post on this topic, the newest research shows that YES there is immune system suppression with chronic, daily marijuana use.

However, as far as mental deficits, the newest research shows that they tend to disappear over time after quitting. These were tests where subjects were tested in short-term memory and cognitive skills while still heavy smokers and then tested again at regular intervals following abstinance. After a period of time, they were gradually back to normal mental and memory function and were comparable to the contrast group that had never smoked or smoked casually/very little (these two groups were indistinguishable in their testing scores).

I'm not saying it has no long-term affects at all as you can also medically prove it kills brain cells, but I would propose these tests show you can at least get close to pre-smoking memory and cognition. And perhaps the type of long-term problems it can cause would not show up in standardized testing used in this particular study.

I have only recently quit after many years of heavy daily use myself, so it will be interesting to see in the long run if I personally feel any long-term differences.

this medical proof you bring up is ****. This was brought on by a test that took rhesus monkeys and hooked them up to gas masks for 15 - 20 minutes straight each day. Now These masks were pumping in smoke with no escape which produces(carbon monoxide) and these monkeys were pretty much sufficating to death. When there is no oxygen goin to brain cells obvoiusly they will bill dying.

To all of you, i say you should open up your minds and check jack herers book The Emperor wears no cloths - go to this site and read some chapters ********

i hope you learn a little something on this plant

**edited by moderator**

I will say this. I smoked everyday fairly heavy for about 30 years - 1 week. I was ok up until about 2 years ago I started feeling cloudy and confused at work every once in a while(even though I never smoked before or during work). I figured the weed was too strong and I should stick to RB because I smoke to smoke. It was just the beginning and it progressively got worse. But very slowly. I currently have stopped for a week and I am confused, cloudy and have some trouble just doing my day to day routine. I am a computer engineer and have a good job with an IQ of 135+ not a genius but certainly not stupid. The weed has hurt my intellect. I can say that for sure. People who say it does not, probably have either been lucky so far or are like my friends who visit the pro marijuana websites and believe them. As for me I'm done and I hope I can recover at least most of the way.

Hi guys,

I was a long term smoker, most days for about 10+years. I have recently given up tobacco and weed. Well, i still vape a few times month but for all intents and purposes, this is giving up for me. I have had some strange withdrawal (well, that what i blame) symptoms so far. Fatigue first, IBS style symptoms next (still there) and periods of dissociation though they haven't affected me cognitively as far as i know, its certainly disconcerting. Im a phd scientist by the way so i decided to stop before i'm 30 both for mental aptitude and long term health issues associated with smoking.

Currently i hope these symptoms go away soon, though on the plus side, i'm already much fitter, lungs are much better and i recently cut myself badly and noticed that i have healed much faster! This is only 6wks after stopping.

Hope this info is of some use. I think to be a regular user is bad, like everything, especially 'approved' drugs like alcohol, continued heavy, regular use is definetly bad.

It is important to note that people experience noticeable mental decline after 30 years of /life/. Perhaps you are just getting older, ItHurtMe?

I have heard/read that it can also suppress ovulation. I have (now had) been a steady smoker for seven years but have been recently been trying to quit. I have tests done that show I do not ovulate, I have done IVF with poor egg quality on the few they could get. I can't seem to find anything though, to tell me if this problem might be corrected once I have been smoke free for a while. I am coming up on one month smoke free, I know that is too short to notice anything so thought I would ask here... Any similair problems out there?

Thanks in advance!

I am looking for similar info. One study - The effects of marijuana use on IVF and GIFT outcomes - reported that marijuana increased the risk of ovulatory infertility, especially use within the year preceding attempted pregnancy. This may indicate that things could improve after staying off the weed for a while? I don't know if enough studies have been done. I'll let you know if I find anything else.
http://www.mdconsult.com/das/article/body/86571558-2/jorg=journal&source=MI&sp=&sid=/N/520741/s0002937805012585.pdf

If you eat healthy after quiting
long term smoking your brain will get better but it will not be as great as it was before you started to smoke i hope that helps!!! :-P

I am 58 and have been smoking for 42 years. I read many of the logs that say their "long term" habit is 1 - 5 years. I just quit cold turkey for my health. 42 years is a long, long time to be a user but I think the quality of my health will improve. I am motivated and had talked of quitting for some time so it was easy (so far) to quit. I think if you find the right motivation for yourself it will be easier to quit. Stay motivated and you can kick pot in the butt and get on with your life.

I been a heavy smoker of pot for over 30 years. I recently quit for over a year and according to the readily available blood sugar testers my levels were over 400, at one point it was 600 and a pharmacist said i was in stroke territory. I went back to smoking pot and my levels went way down to like 125 and 140. Now I've quit again and my levels are back up in the 300's and I totally avoid sugars. Anyone else run into this?

Hey everyone!

I just stumbled upon this article and i HAD to say something!

I am currently 20-21 yrs old, and started smoking up when i was 15. I also started cigs around then as well. Anyways, i only truly started to smoke chronically at about 16-17. Initially i started smoking in large spurts; blunts & lots of bong hits...I used to smoke a bowl or two everyday before school at lunch & after school; and this did have a negative impact on me. I remember quitting for 7 months & starting again right before my 18th birthday. During this time, i noticed a significant mental difference and my school grades went way up. At the 8th month, i progressively started again. Grades did go down, but somehow i believe its because pot weakens your ability to concentrate. So it did for me anyways.... From then to now, its essentially been between 1-2 joints a day, & these days (slowing down even more), about 1-2 bowls a day.
Now, i am on my 5th day of quitting & before i get into my detox method, let me elaborate what pot does for me first.

Although i smoke pot daily, i have never if rarely, had the urge to smoke weed. Days that i'm stressed or i just feel like relaxing beyond the norm; instead of a beer i'd have a toke. I only had in my lifespan so far maybe 3-7 true panic attacks from pot, but they ended in 10 minutes, and no subsequent thoughts trailed afterwards. My roomate had the same effects, but we believe it may have been because of the specific marijuana strain (we had gotten lots of), & we knew it was not laced to say the least...Perhaps it could have been the chemicals in the fertilizer....Perhaps too much of one or the other causes these dilusions, but remember...pot amplifies your thoughts & emotions, so if you believe you're tripping you, you will.

It has officially been 1 year since i have stopped smoking cigs, and boy did i try quitting 100 times. After 3 months of no cigs (no patch or pills too), i lost the urge to smoke tobacco & finally succeeded. It disgusts me now. You need to truly concentrate on the negative to quit. For the record, POT IS NOWHERE NEAR AS DIFFICULT TO QUIT AS TOBACCO.

Anyways, I decided to do a full body detox by following this regiment:

-I purchased total rapid cleanse 7day program.(by renewlife) following exactly as directed.
-I have been taken 2 capsules 3x a day of Ginko Biloba to speed up the mental recovery.
-I have been taking Vitamin C 2-4 times a day.

I fasted for the first 2 days only consuming juices & the pills as thc is stored in your fat cells & many recommend this for detox. I have also been walking 1hr a day(yaya i should be exercising instead...) I will be taking 6tbsp of olive oil on the last day, along with an hour in a sauna.
Then for the next 5 days, my regiment consists of only organic fruits & veggies. No milk, no dressings, period. After that, i will slowly re-introduce carbs. Also, i've quit drinking coffee but i drink de-caffinated tea.

This entire process' intent is to clean your liver, your colon & improve the blood circulation to your brain, probably filled with THC.

Apart from the nasty exaust, man i'm at night 4 and i feel spectacular; clear headed.
I work an accounting/IT job & marijuana has never really interfered as i never get hi before or at work. I noticed that when i smoked, the first hour of my shift would be sluggish; not anymore.

I will continue my regiment until the final day, but i have read that it takes a least 1-3 months for THC to completely leave your body. Im not out to pass a drug test mind you.

After that, occasional non-habit smoking is fine, from many older users ive been told. Also for the record, i have had minor insomnia but non of these crazy dreams all of you talk about.

Btw, i would consider marijuana abuse if you smoke at least 5-10 joints a day; assuming you do not have a medical condition requiring marijuana.

Please let me know what you all think,

I hope this helps others!

Cheers