Hi, I'm 37 years old and I have a problem with insomnia and nervousness. Sometimes I can't sleep whole night, I would just think all night about anything and not sleep. My doctor gave me some medicines before for inducing sleep, they didn’t work well for me so he changed the prescription to Stilnoct, but he said that it could be used for just a short period of time. I have a friend that also has insomnia symptoms and she also is on stilnoct, but she’s taking it for longer than 5 months now and with permission of her doctor. Why can't I use stilnoct for in a long run too?

Stilnoct is a brand name of a drug used to treat insomnia called zolpidem. Zolpidem belongs to the group of substances called imidazopyridines. It works by increasing the level of GABA, an important substance whose main purpose in the brain is to control its activity by inhibiting all neurotransmission processes thus inducing sleep. Zolpidem increases the time spent sleeping and decreases the time needed to fall asleep, so it is very effective in treating insomnia. The down side of it is that it can be only used to treat insomnia in the short term since the prolonged use causes addiction, and stopping of the use can cause withdrawal symptoms. Use of zolpidem can also be dangerous because it causes drowsiness and decreased attention. Some doctors are prescribing it for a longer period of time if they think it is necessary and if the benefits of using it are greater than side effects. However, that practice has not been supported by the producer of the medicine so the physicians that are prescribing the medicine in a non standard way bare the full responsibility for the possible unwanted effects. You should follow your doctors advice on this matter and if he thinks that the prolonged use of the medicine can be dangerous for you he’s probably right.

you can if you go abroad to get them! but stilnoct does have a very depressing effect if you take too many and it is very very addictave. if, like myself you have a very low will power its best to stay away from it altogether. it can also make you very sick if you abuse it like i do. stay away from it. that is the advice from someone who is addicted to it!/quote] :D :D

I have been on long term therapy with stilnoct and I have found myself staying up and taking more pills and doing just wacky things. at one point I thoght people were at my house for a fashion shoot and I had to do the make up for them but obvioulsy it was just me. It's sorta making me sick feeling. I do things and don't remember. I write cryptic poems and stories and blogs that are crazy and wonderful all at the same time. Anyway, I have decided to just take the right dose and hide the rest so I don't go over board anymore, but, I definitely feel dependant on them for sleep. I don't like it but that's how it is for now. I just have to stop abusing them. Thats the bottom line and I can do that if I put my mind to it!!! Anyone else admit to this????

hi I do weird thind to when i take stilnoct like ringing people at one in the morning and then not remembering I rang them I'm taking them about 7 years now and would love to quit any avdice

hello, i do some strange things too. have been on stilnoct 8 years.......but have stopped at will from time to time, when I am NOT WORKING!. and I only take 5s. they are the only thing I can take (also), for a really bad flying phobia. two 10s and three vodkas (stupid I know, but not nearly as stupid as being in handcuffs on a flight to australia because I freaked out). when I take them to fly, my friends say I am my usual self but in super-hyped-up form. laughing and joking to other passengers! and afterwards, I can remember NOTHING at all, its completely, permanently blank.......as for sleeping, I can still stop taking them when I have the time to read in bed......sometimes for two to three hours, and only if I do not have to wake before 10. so maybe they are not quite so addictive?

but when I have to get up at 6..............I really depend on them to get me quickly off (always 20 min). sometimes I have to get up and EAT like crazy. cheese. mmmmmm. so anyway, my advice is to force yourself to read, in bed, for as long as it takes. good luck.

I am also taking stilnoct, which are prescribed on a weekly basis due to my addiction and odd behaviour of late. I was going through a weeks worth of tablets in2 or 3 days, so I started looking elsewhere for my fix. I found so many sites that I could order Ambien, Zolpidem, Stilnoct - whatever they want to call them- anyway just the other night , or early morning, I was shouting at 'people that were trying to break into our car'!! This was not a one time thing and it is affecting all areas of my life in a very negative way. If, like me, you have an addictive personality, stay well clear of all of them!!! :$

I have been on stllnoct for five years plus. Though I never got a full nights sleep I used to divide the amount by two or hree for when I woke up after an hour or so. With all the stress that I have been under for the past couple of years I have been taking double the 20mg dosage a lot of the time and even at one stage took 60mg as I was so desperate. Am still here but no nearer to a sleep pattern. Have an appointment in a sleep clinic in end of July and am trying to wean myself off them., Back down to 15mg but awake most of the night. Got my extra tablets off a friend who was prescribed them also but never took then. Have had some very embarrassing experiences whilst on them. Only this afternoon I went to bed and read and fell asleep but on getting up found out that I have got back out of the bed to talk to my grandson, was only half dressed and my two daughters and son in law was there also. I then proceeded to the kitchen to eat things that I would never eat (this has been a big on going problem for me lately) and making tea and practically scalding myself each time. I am only aware of it when I get up and realise I am in different nightware. Am very concerned that I a not in control of myself whilst I have taken the tablets which is why my main concern now is to wean myself off

Hi, I am 38. And I take stilnoct for about 6 years, sometimes for a few months 10g a day or less.

Also it happens that I take stilnoct after a night cocaine. The effects seems oke: Coce makes active, anxious and awake, but stilnoct calms this down again. But could there be bad side effecs in combining these?

Lisa

Hi Guys,

I have been taking Stilnoct for the last few months, more close to a year. I was working shift and going through alot of personal c**p at the beginning and therefore could not sleep at all!. I am usually a very light sleeper at the best of times.

I had to ask my Doctor to give me something to help me sleep, so he gave me Stilnoct. I have to say they do, do the trick. I do sleep for up to 8 hours upon taking one 10mg tab. On that while I am sleeping I do not dream or I certainly do not remember dreaming. When I was able to sleep drugfree I would be able to remember my dreams. Now I remember NOTHING!! I was going through a bad patch last year and did overdose on them, knowingly.

They are strong. I do get my perscription every month from my doctor. I know from reading everyones blog, that it is a short term fix for a long term problem. It makes no difference, I still take either half or a full one, sometimes two just to knock myself out for a few hours. I do find that they do have me really Dopey and I do not remember my dreams.

I would have to say that I am addicted to them at this stage. I know there may be side affects should I decide to come off them. I know I will not be able to sleep if I come off them. I guess they are my crutch in helping me to sleep. I feel if my Doctor decided to not give me a perscription anymore, I will just search over the internet for them or look for something else instead.

I good friend of mine was working with me in the same job, doing shift. She also suffers from severe insomina. She was given another medication called Zimaovane. She said that she finds them really powerful.

In essence, Stilnoct is strong but i have no desire to come off them. I need them just to get by and to sleep, If I come off them I will be in all sorts of problems.

Anyone fell ill or death beacuse of stilnoct? Is it dangerous if taken in ovedose?

I was prescribed stilnoct as my very irregular sleeping pattern was exacerbatting my period of depression even more so (I'm a long term sufferer of what I like to call the "persistent flu to the mind"). I too suffered from hallucinations etc (for me little goats and a clown in my room which at that staged turned into a big top tent. Definitely the most memorable!) but that was because when I went to bed and say read a book for example my brain was trying to shut off and I essentially was counteracting the drug. So basically you go on a trip or high, whatever you wish to call it. This was basically what the medical professional told me. You may not even be aware it's happening because you've been induced into a relaxed state. So if you take a tablet go to bed, lie down in a comfy spot, wrap up and close your eyes. I used it for a short period of time because of the risk of addiction. It really is a short term solution. My irregular sleep pattern is back to full form unfortunately. I do find however doing some stretches, cleaning and I've been known to dance around my room like a wild thing to wear me out before sleep does work!(at least it has for the past 5yrs) Reading believe it or not has an adverse affect for me. It keeps mind busy and active and I'll only dose off reading if I've for eg had 6hrs sleep in 2 days. So it's a definite no no if ya want to drop off asleep in my opinion.

I was first prescribed stillnoct 5 years ago. I found them very effective for those nights when you just have to get a decent sleep. If I had a meeting or something big, even a long drive or flight, the next day then stillnoct is my crutch, otherwise I would not be able to function. However I found them so effective and powerfull at 10mg that I started cutting each tablet into 4 or 5 tiny pieces with a fresh razor blade! I find I can drop off to sleep without them, but come 3 am I wake up. I take a tiny piece of stilnoct and that sends me back to sleep till 6 am. Perfect. I dont need them every night, and so a pack for one month usually lasts me 6 months, sometimes more. My GP doesnt know this and so doesnt think I am addicted. When I retire from work I'll never need another stillnoct, its the stress of work that distubs my sleep. when I stop working I'll stop taking tiny pieces of stilnoct.