I was thinking about going on the pill and my friend told me about Nuvaring. I've never heard about it before so I have some questions. How does this Nuvaring works? What is it all about and what can I expect from it?

Before you start using anything, you need to consult your doctor. NuvaRing is a soft flexible ring, two inches in diameter. It is worn in the vagina for three weeks and after that it is removed for one week and during this week the menstrual period usually occurs. NuvaRing contains a combination of estrogen and progestin hormones that are absorbed continuously, directly into the blood stream through the vaginal wall. When it is used according to label instructions, effectiveness of the ring is around 99%. The use of NuvaRing eliminates the need to think about birth control on a daily basis because of its once monthly insertion. During intercourse usually neither partner is aware of the presence of NuvaRing. It is important to know that this ring does not offer any protection against transmission of sexually transmitted diseases, such as chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, hepatitis or HIV. To reduce the risk of STD's, condoms may be used with the ring. The most common side effect of NuvaRing is an increased amount of normal vaginal discharge. Headaches may occur and also a weight gain, but it is usually limited to a few pounds.

I am on nuvaring now i am 23 and have a 2 yr old son, i had an IUD that ruptured my uterus and decided to try nuvaring, its very comfortable and you nor your partner know its there during your being together. you just have to fold it and insert it. you leave it in for 3 weeks then have your normal cycle. i think its a great birth control. ive been on it for about 6 months and me and my fiancee love it.