My husband and I are a bit tired of rubber. It become very frustrating to think about whether it’s going to slide down (it just keeps happening), and, to be honest, very often we simply forget to buy a pack. I talked to some of my friends and they recommended different types of protection. One of them uses NuvaRing and she is satisfied, but I find those products you have to self - insert somehow repulsive. My sister uses something called Evra patch and it seems very interesting. Which of the two should I use should I decide to give up on condoms?

First I must say that I share your feeling of repulsion when it comes to pushing things into my vagina. My roommate had been using NuvaRing for a while, but it made her problems during the intercourse. It kept irritating her vaginal area and her boyfriend could feel the presence of it too, although the doctor said that 90% of couples did not experience any difficulties connected with the use of this type of protection. Several times they had to stop the intercourse since she just expelled the ring. Evra patch, on the other hand, was advertised so fiercely, that I decided to try it out. I was really satisfied, although certain information I read about it scared me at first. It was published that Evra patch released much more estrogen into your body than the usual anti - baby pills. I also read that 17 women had died of heart attack or of disorder caused by moving of the clot to their vital organs, which was all later attributed to the use of Evra patch. None of the side effects (which can be numerous and very irritating, e.g. weigh changes or breast tenderness) did I experience, and I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that my periods were less painful and that the severe cramps turned into slight discomfort. You just have to be careful if it loosens, but it reapplies easily, so don’t worry.

Hey there! I was on Ortho tri cyclen for 2 years, and then because of some health concerns decided to switch to Nuva Ring due to its lower hormone doses - I don't recommend it to tell you the truth. Granted it's different for everyone, not only did you have to self-insert, but it caused weight gain, lower libido, and I was nowhere near the happy person that I had been - I've finally gone off of it and am starting to get back to "normal" I hope this helps you make your decision!

I used the Nuva Ring for two years, and with my ex-husband, liked it a lot. It did fall out during intercourse sometimes, and he could feel it a little, but it didn't cause any big problems. I did gain weight, which I realized only after I stopped and lost it without any diet or exercise changes. I'm looking into other methods now because my new partner is rather large in the genital department, and he can feel it and doesn't like it. It also comes out nearly every time. So if your partner has a large penis, I really don't recommend the Ring. Other than that, it was pretty good. My OBGYN also told me I could keep the ring in for 5 weeks, that it had been tested for up to six weeks. I followed his advice for two years, saving me a good bit of money with that advice, and never got pregnant.