I've been on Nuvaring for 4 years now and in the last few months, I've noticed a strange, strong vaginal odor in the few days before I'm due to remove the ring for my period (it's not a "fishy" smell, more metallic or chemical smell, but STRONG). Once I take it out and get my period, the smell is gone, but the next month, it comes back about 4 days before its time to remove the ring. I also get increased vaginal discharge at this time (which is wierd b/c Nuvaring has always dried me out). I can't find any information anywhere about this, other than bacterial vaginosis, which doesn't seem correct as the symptoms disappear after the ring is out. I shower daily, i use baby powder after showering to stay fresh "down there", but it doesn't help. I've had 2 children in the time I've been on the ring (removed it to get pregnant and got back on after I had the baby) and am wondering if my body's chemistry or hormones have changed and if I need to look at another type of b.c. Thank you in advance for any advice/info you can give me!

It sounds like the birth control is giving you a pH imbalance. Unfortunately, hormonal birth control can give women an acidic pH and/or candida yeast overgrowths in the body.

I suggest you switch to a non-hormonal form of birth control. It sounds like your body is reacting negatively to the Nuvaring and may likely react that way to other forms of hormonal birth control. Of course, talk to your doctor before you do so.

In any case that you make, I suggest that you get a douche/enema bag from your local health food store or pharmacy and douche with yogurt. Get plain yogurt with no sugar. This will help your pH become more alkaline and restore friendly bacteria to the region.

In order to maintain healthy bacteria in your vagina, supplement with probiotics. Get these at a health food store only. Other probiotics are often dead bacteria, so they're useless, and low-quality. You'll want to get different strains, so after you finish one or two bottles, switch to another brand.

FINALLY!!! Someone who has the same problem as me! I do not reccommend douching tho. My gynocologist, also female says that douching is not good for you as it also messes with the natural ph balance of that area. she said to not even use soap, but to just clean well with water and wash cloth. Also, you mentioned the dryness! OMG! Thank you, I was thinking I was losing my oomph! :-( This must be from the nuvaring as well. Thank you for your post! It helped immensely. how long after you took out the ring did you get pregnant?

I think we're having the same problem. It's nice to see that it's not just me. I've been having the same problem with the nuvaring. It's making me smell different. It's not a nasty, fishy smell it's a pungent almost musky smell. I can smell it thru my pants and if I can I know others can. I shower twice a day and use feminine hygiene wash for my vag and it's still there. I had been using the ring for 3 years and never had that problem before but I just started back up on it about a year ago and it started after I started using it again. I haven't had sex in about 3 weeks so I know it's not that. Maybe it's changing the pH of my vagina? I have no idea but it's really f*****g annoying! My dude wants to go down on me but I'm so self conscious because of the smell. And I don't want to have sex because of the smell also. Like I said, it's not a fishy odor at all. And it doesn't smell like vagina, it's a more pungent, strong, musky smell. I take my ring out on time and put them in on time so idk what to do. That's the only complaint I have about the nuvaring but it's a pretty big complaint. Is anyone else having the same problem? And if you are what other info do you have and have you figured out what it is and what can fix or help it?

I am having the same issue. I recently started using nuva ring to prevent the formation of ovarian cysts. I'm only on my second month with NR, and I've noticed a drastic difference in vaginal odor. It does not smell fishy; it smells more like medicine, almost plastic-like. It's incredibly distracting to me. I can also smell it throughout the day; it makes me very uncomfortable! I don't know if I can handle it much longer.