okay so me and my boyfriend dont use condoms ever. BUT im on the nuvaring. recently i have been bleeding as though it was my period, because its not just spotting, its actually a lot of blood. im also very fatigued and nauseous. could i be pregnant? i dont know if ive missed a period because with nuvaring you only get one every 3 months.

Hi ALSismyhunny. While it is always disheartening to have spotting or bleeding outside of a period, it also makes you uneasy when you do not know if you are pregnant or not. The symptoms you are having constitute your need to go see your gynecologist right away. This will put your mind at ease and give you some relief not matter what the outcome. While it is hard to believe that you could be pregnant while on the nuvaring, there are women who do experience this. Have you ever had bleeding before while on this form of birth control? Your body could be adjusting, especially if the form of birth control is new to you. How long have you been on the nuvaring? Keep us updated as far as what you find out. Best of luck to you.

i have been on it before and have never bled. i have been on it now for about 6 weeks and before was on it for nine.

Okay, since it is not just spotting and you are having some actual bleeding and not new to this method of birth control, you need to have it checked out. Maybe an adjustment is needed to your birth control. Your body does change over time and it just might not be working for you right now. You could be having a reaction to it. Have your doctor check out all possibilities and don't hold back on sharing any symptoms or information. The clearer the picture your doctor has the better informed of a diagnosis he/she can make. Best of luck to you. I hope you keep me updated on what happens. I am sure there are a lot of women out there too who could benefit from what you find out at the doctor.

Hi:

I think you should go back to the doctor and have your nuvaring checked for proper placement. The nuvaring is a foreign object. It needs to be properly placed and monitored whenever you are experiencing problems. You should also have a pregnancy test right away. That's an easy answer. Be sure that you have your home test confirmed by a doctor. Home tests can be tricky, especially if the timing is wrong. Have you had success with the nuvaring to this point? Have you considered other types of birth control methods that might work better for you. These might be questions for you to consider if you cannot get this problem resolved or if you have had problems with the nuvaring before. I understand you desire not to use checmicals, i.e. pills, if that's a concern. However, you don't want to risk your health if the nuviring is not a good choice for you. Check with your doctor and let us know. Other members using the nuvaring might need to hear your story and the results of your dr visit.