Book 5 of the Mallorean

Finally we come to the conclusion of the adventures of Garion, Belgarath, Polgara, and everyone they traveled with. While this is specifically the conclusion to the 5 book series The Mallorean , this is really the conclusion to the story that began 10 books ago with Pawn of Prophecy . In this book, Garion will reach the end of the road in the quest to rescue his kidnapped son and also fulful for the final time the prophecies that have been shaping his world for more than 7000 years. Garion is nearing the end of the quest and if you have read the previous nine volumes, you have an idea of what to expect. This is still lighthearted, simplistic fantasy and is fairly enjoyable to read.

The Mallorean (and Belgariad) is an epic series of Good vs Evil, Light vs Darkness, and of Gods, Kings, and Men (not to mention women, but I meant humans). There is magic a plenty, an abundance of sword play, a long epic quest, humor, action, and drama. One can accuse this series (and Eddings) of telling the same story twice, as the plotlines do follow those of The Belgariad, just in a different location, but Eddings actually built that into the story so well that events are supposed to be repeating themselves. Rather than blatantly rip himself off, Eddings set up his world and the events in it such that some repetition is necessary. To be honest, if you are a fan of the Belgariad, you are likely going to have enjoyed reading through the Mallorean. The ending, though anti-climactic, is nice, pleasant, and a good way to say goodbye to the friends you have made over the course of reading 10 books set in one world dealing with the same set of characters. They may be clich and repeat themselves and tell the same jokes, but these are characters you can come to care for and they are familiar like family.

After reading nine novels set in this world, nothing anybody can say will convince you to either like or dislike this book any more than you already will. The opinion the reader will have of this novel depends entirely on his or her enjoyment of the first 9 books (if one makes it that far). This is fast reading fantasy, but is enjoyable all the same. At one time these were my favorite characters and my favorite world, and while this is no longer true, I have a certain amount of fondness for Silk, and Polgara, and Zakath and everyone else in this world. To me, this was a fitting way to conclude the series.