I need book suggestions

Wicked, by Gregory Maguire.

Otherwise, I'd think about either the Best American Short Stories 2005 and the Best American Sports Writing 2005. That's all that's really worth recommending if you don't read science fiction or fantasy.

What do you typically read/what are some things you have enjoyed? I've read some fantastic stuff lately: The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon You Shall Know Our Velocity! - Dave Eggers Natural Novel - Georgi Gospodinov (probably hard to find... it's Bulgarian) Snow - Orhan Pamuk (definitely an interesting book, particularly relating to Islam, radicals, westernizing Turkey - Pamuk is Turkish) And I'm currently reading The Path to the Spiders' Nests - Italo Calvino. So far I really like it. Or, you could go with the Riff Raff Book Club March Pick - Peyton Place I might be able to recommend some more stuff based on your reply...

i had brain surgery, whats your excuse?

i picked this up the other day. im onlly about a 1/4 of the way thru it but its pretty entertaining. its about this woman who learns that she has a brain tumor and her impending surgery and recovery. its got little illustrations and side notes about what was going on in the authors head.

I enjoyed Jimmy Carter's "Our Endangered Values"

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

It's 100% true and very shocking! 8O

I think Oprah is reeling from that book club selection and moving back to traditionally "safe" classics (latest one is Night by Elie Weisel). Hopefully she'll be less predictable with the picks in the future... there's nothing special about a list of classics.

I've been thinking about getting that one! I am reading Bruce Bawer's Place at the Table right now.

Rum Punch by Elmore Leonard

I'll have to speak against Mech's pick of the Dave Eggers book. Hated it. I'd go with his memoir (!) A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius Shutter Island - Dennis Lehane Generation Kill - Evan Wright Rainlight - Alison McGhee Bel Canto - Ann Patchett The Human Stain - Philip Roth The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy Animal Dreams - Barbara Kingsolver Black Hawk Down - Mark Bowden Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood Girl, Interrupted - Susanna Kaysen

The FairTax Book by Neal Boortz and John Linder.

It'll get your blood boiling. It did mine, at least.

Except that Oprah will get people to read the classics who wouldn't have.

Pug - What was so terrible about YSKOV!? I know it hasn't gotten great reviews, but I thought it was fantastic... again (as with The Catcher in the Rye) I can attribute a good part of my liking the book to association - being able to read page after page knowing exactly what is being said. And that association gives so much more depth to the characters (shallow character development is one complaint I've seen). Seriously, there was a 3 page section where I've had almost the exact same conversation - nearly word for word - with a friend of mine.

If I read books I wouldn't be able to get to the gym enough. :|

It bored me. I didn't like the characters and nothing about the execution of the plot was interesting. Interesting idea for the story, poor execution. I find that Dave Eggers make a much better editor than novelist.