last month about a week before my period,i had a brownish discharge. there was no more discharge after i got off my period. but this month is the same thing-a week before i start and my discharge is brown. i have had my period for 13 years and this has never happened. what do you think?

I’m afraid that you will have to see a doc. Tell me, how long does your menstrual cycle last? 24, 28, 30 days?

I wouldn’t think of this bleeding as of a special problem if the spotting occurred in the middle of your menstrual cycle, around two weeks before your period. I would probably think of it as an ovulating spotting but would still advise you to see a doc.

During ovulation when an egg is released from one of the thousands of maturing follicles, and when an ovarian opens, different women experience different symptoms. Some women experience cramping, some vaginal discharge while others don’t feel a thing. Problems like headaches, lethargy or gastric pain have also been reported.

Considering you have had periods for 13 years now, you should have started having your annual gynecological exams by now.
Breakthrough bleedings like yours may have underlying causes that can be dangerous and cause problems in the future including fertility and also cancer.

Breakthrough bleeding can be associated with uterine or cervical polyps and uterine fibroids. These are uterine and vaginal growths that can start causing severe pains, during ovulations, periods, and sexual activities, not to mention bleeding.

Endometriosis is a condition in which a uterine lining grows out of uterus on other near by organs and cause debilitating problems, breakthrough bleeding for the time being but it can severe impact your fertility.
Ovarian cysts can also be suspected in causing severe pains in the groins, lower abdomen and radiating to the legs and bleeding between the periods.

Last but certainly not least, a cervical dysplasia, which is a precancerous condition, is also one of the suspects. However, cancer as well.

If these conditions were discovered in time, at the beginning, the chances of recovery are huge. This is why it would be best to have yourself checked, just to be on the safe side and not freak out every time you experience the brown discharge.