Hi, I am 48 years old and I am not in menapause since my blood tests don't suggest that to my doctor. But sometimes my hormones fluctuate in their intensity. Maybe twice a year I have these wierd periods where they never want to end. It will start out normal and then I just can't get rid of it. It fakes me out like it is over and then there is brown spotting again. This is the 12th day if you want to count it that way. It hasn't been full bleeding those days. But the last several days it has been on and off brown spotting, not even enough for a tampax or pad. What do you think?

You may not be in menopause but you certainly could be in perimenopause, when hormones are fluctuating and there is less production of them, causing all sorts of menopause-like symptoms.

I heard that these hormonal testings can test positive for manopasue when you are already deep in menopause and when you already know it yourself.

Perimenopause may last up to 10 years, sometimes even more and have all the symptoms menopause does. Besides the spotting….do you have any other menopause symptoms like mood changes, changes in sexual desire, headaches, concentration problems, vaginal dryness, sleeping problems, lack of sexual desire, sweating, etc.

Some women have vaginal discharge after their periods on regular basis although they are not even approaching menopause. When you saw your doctor and had hormonal tests done, have you had a pelvic exam, pap smear, etc

Women your age may develop cervical or uterine polyps, uterine fibroids (benign growths) that may also cause such bleedings/spotting as well as spotting after sex.
Not to forget ovarian cysts. My mother developed them when she was 44. Ovarian cysts too may cause period irregularities, as well as abdominal pain and bleeding after sex, so you may want to have this checked if you haven’t already.