I'm a 51 year old & have been going thru menapause for the past 3 years. The other day I felt a cramp like I when I used to have periods & 2 days later I had some brown discharge. It was the color of dried blood. Is this normal during menapause?

Yes, irregular vaginal bleeding may happen during transitional period from perimenopause to menopause. Menopause would then be permanent cessation of periods while perimenopause would be the transitional period.
During this period, some women may experience sudden heavy bleedings while others may be luckier and have occasional light bleedings. There is no common pattern to this and different women experience it differently.

It is said though that every irregular bleeding should be checked to determine if it were due to menopause or other medical problems. I suppose you had it done already since you have been going through it for three 3 now.

However, since you are at the life-age when many irregularities may occur I would have this checked just to make sure everything’s in order.
At this age you are prone to developing ovarian cysts or uterine fibroids, which may cause similar symptoms to cramping and bleeding or discharge. It is true that fibroids shrink when there’s lack of estrogen but you never know and to be on the safe side, I would have it checked. Good luck!

I have recently been experiencing signs of menapause, cramps spotting brown discharge, followed by heavy periods. I have a small fibroid of which I was told would shrink because of the reduced oestrogen; however, how does one know whether the periods one has ( irregular) is a period or bleeding of the fibroid? ?

i am 30 yr old i had irregular bleeding ang spoting between the periods since 8 months i just worried.i have two children .younger one 1 yr.[/list][/list]