ok here's the scoop. over the last couple of months when i have my period, i have a sharp pain in the lower left area of my pelvic region. with this i have bloody discharge that is heavy and thick. I sometimes have this same pain during or right after intercourse. does any one know what is causing this? :'(

The two most common reasons for pain in that region during sex and at the start of menstruation with heavy periods are:

Ovarian Cysts and Endometriosis

Ovarian Cysts Symptoms

Usually ovarian cysts do not produce symptoms and are found during a routine physical exam or are seen by chance on an ultrasound performed for other reasons. However, the following symptoms may be present:

* Lower abdominal or pelvic pain, which may start and stop and may be severe, sudden, and sharp

* Irregular menstrual periods

* Feeling of lower abdominal or pelvic pressure or fullness

* Long-term pelvic pain during menstrual period that may also be felt in the lower back

* Pelvic pain after strenuous exercise or sexual intercourse

* Pain or pressure with urination or bowel movements

* Nausea and vomiting

* Vaginal pain or spots of blood from vagina

* Infertility

Endometriosis Symptoms:

* Painful periods (dysmenorrhea). Pelvic pain and cramping may begin before and extend several days into your period and may include lower back and abdominal pain. Severity of pain isn't necessarily a reliable indicator of the extent of the condition. Some women with mild endometriosis have intense pain, while others with more severe scarring may have little pain or even no pain at all.

* Pelvic pain at other times. You may experience pelvic pain during ovulation, a sharp pain deep in the pelvis during intercourse, or pain during bowel movements or urination.
* Excessive bleeding. You may experience occasional heavy periods (menorrhagia) or bleeding between periods (menometrorrhagia).

* Infertility. Endometriosis is first diagnosed in some women who are seeking treatment for infertility.

I have mild endometriosis and ovarian cysts which can be caused by endometriosis. Another thing to look into is PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease)

The main symptom of PID is lower abdominal pain, usually described as crampy or as constant and dull. This pain may get worse during bowel movements, sexual intercourse, or urination. You may also have one or more other symptoms, including:

* A sense of pressure in the pelvis.
* Low back pain. Sometimes this pain spreads down one or both legs.
* Abnormal discharge-such as yellow-, brown-, or green-colored discharge-or an increased amount of discharge from the vagina.
* Fever [usually over 101F]. But you can have PID without fever.
* A vague feeling of body weakness or discomfort (malaise).
* Headache.
* Nausea or vomiting.
* Pain during sex (dyspareunia).
* Irregular menstrual bleeding.
* Urinary symptoms, such as burning or pain with urination.

If you suspect this, SEE YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY!!

It could be an STI. I recently have been diagnosed with endometriosis but it took 7 months as they tested me for every STI under the sun (despite the fact I have always had protected sex and me and my boyfriend were both virgins, he is the only person I have sex with). You may want to get tested just incase!