I am concerned for my friend. She was diagnosed with bulbar amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. She is 57 years old and never had any serious problems. Now, she is having speech problems, especially in long conversations and that is why she went to a doctor. She said that she was not told much about the illness, but her children look really upset. What is happening here?

I am afraid that your friend is suffering from the fatal disease. ALS – amyotrophic lateral sclerosis has several forms, bulbar being one of those. Doctors cannot find what is the true cause of this condition. There are some guesses, but that is all. Also, there is no cure, estimated time left for patients is from 3 to 5 years. There are therapies that might help with maintaining strength, speech etc but that is unfortunately all.