A friend of mine has multiple sclerosis. I have amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Do we have the same "sclerosis"? I read in the newspaper that "sclerosis" is a large group of disorders and that there is small difference between them. Is that true? If we have the same disease why don't we have the same medications for it?

Although both disorders have "sclerosis" in there names, it is not the same disease. In the matter of fact we are talking about two different diseases. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis affects motor neurons, and because of this person with ALS has symptoms. On the other hand multiple sclerosis is illness of myelin. Myelin is enclosure of nerves and because it is damaged disease occur.

Hello there Valera,

As karleen has already told you although in the name of your condition is sclerosis and this word is repeating when we are talking about MS these are two completely different conditions. She has mentioned the reasons of occurrence and the symptoms so there is no need to repeat her words. Since you are now aware that these are two different diseases I believe that you are aware of the fact why you don’t have the same medications.

Unfortunately there is no cure for either of these conditions and the medications you have been taking are reducing the nasty symptoms you and your friend are experiencing. I hope this was helpful and good luck with everything.