Hi, I have read an article about the Lou Gehrig's disease. The writer said that this condition is also called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. I have understood that the illness affects the neurons and that it is fatal. However, I didn’t understand the part about the scars. What part of a person's body can be affected by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis scars?

Hi, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is indeed a fatal illness. My best friend's mother died because she got this disease. This is a very serious condition that affects motor neurons. This means that the neurons that are responsible for the voluntary movements are destroyed. My friend's mother had the first problems with her arms. She couldn't hold a pen or unlock the door with the key. During the course of illness, she lost her ability to walk and swallow. The last stage is the loss of breathing function. The scars you were confused about do not appear on the body. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis scars are formed in the place of the nerve cells that die. The hardened tissue that remains after the deterioration of the neurons in the lateral spine causes the formation of the scars. I hope you now have a better understanding of where the scars are formed in the Lou Gehrig's disease.