I would appreciate if someone could tell me more about the usage of methamphedamine in pregnancy. How dangerous is it? I am worried about my friend. She is 2 months pregnant and she was using this drug until she found out that she is pregnant. What is your opinion?

It is nice to hear that you care about your neighbor. I will try to give you the information that you need. Methamphetamine use during pregnancy places the unborn fetus at risk. Methamphetamine causes increased maternal blood pressure and heart rate. This can result in premature delivery or spontaneous abortion, not to mention other complications. This drug constricts blood vessels in the placenta that feed the fetus. This leads to reduced blood flow to the fetus and ultimately reduced oxygen and nutrient supply. It is known that methamphetamine passes through the placenta that feeds the fetus. This can cause elevated fetal blood pressure, which leads to prenatal strokes, heart or other major organ damage. Methamphetamine can also cause an increased or extremely variable heart rate in the fetus and slowing or alteration of fetal growth. I hope that your neighbor’s baby will be ok.