Hello everyone. I need some help here. I don’t have enough information about this thing that I am interested in. It is about antidepressants.

Namely, I am interested in Wellbutrin. I’ve been told that Wellbutrin is an excellent drug to use if you wanna lose weight. A friend from work told me that he has used it and that he achieved losing a significant amount of pounds with it.

Now, I am considering trying it too. I will consult with my doctor first, of course. But before I do that, I wanted to know is Wellbutrin the only antidepressant that can cause weight loss?

Hi. I didn’t want to get involved in the discussion but I felt obligated to warn you. Wellbutrin is not a weight loss product. It is an antidepressant and that should be its only use. You have no idea what you are about to do. Taking antidepressant because you want to lose weight would be similar to drinking lots of beer because you want to get B vitamin out of it. It is just not a smart idea.

You can lose weight with products that are made for that purpose (just like you can get B vitamin from foods or  capsules, there is no need to take alcohol). 

I can't help you with your question, sorry.

I am aware of everything you said Regina_Phalange.

I’ve been told everything but I still decided to go with it. I tried so many weight loss products and I never achieved losing my extra pounds. If this can really help, I am ready to take the risk. My health is going to be endangered anyway if I don’t lose some weight fast.

When I am climbing the stairs, I can barely breathe. It is really disturbing.

But still, thank you for caring. It was nice of you.

I am still waiting for some replies. I hope somebody can help me with my question.

Hello. I couldn’t agree more with Regina_Phalange. Antidepressants are not made for weight loss, and therefore should not be used for it. But if that is your choice Mad_Hatter, ok.

Wellbutrin is not the only one. There are many alternatives. Wellbutrin is considered the best when it comes to weight loss though. People also use Venlafaxine. They say it is almost as good as Wellbutrin. It makes you feel more energetic when you are taking it and you tend to do more physical activities. That way it helps you to lose fat. And not only that, it actually suppresses your appetite so you don’t have the need to eat much.

That’s true. Wellbutrin really is the best. Venlafaxine might be second best. It belongs to the group of antidepressants called "SNRI" ( Serotonin Norepinephrine Reputake Inhibitors). Another antidepressant that belongs to this group and causes weight loss is called Duloxetine. There are some other antidepressants that also cause weight loss but they are not as good as these. Some of them are Trazodone, Parnate, Nardil etc. And about that consulting with your doctor that you mentioned, a piece of advice- don’t tell your doctor you wanna take Wellbutrin only because of your weight. They tend to get mad, believe me, I tried.

I agree with Regina. I was on Wellbutrin and I can only describe it like this: Having a 24/7 hang over. I felt so shitty that I stopped thinking about anything else (including the issues I was having at the time). Day after day I could not stop yawning, I kept looking for places to lay down, I didn't feel like eating and I felt like i was walking around in a smoky haze. It was bad. I don't even remember losing weight either. I stayed on it for 6 months because my doctor told me that it would pass. By the begining of the 7th month I could no longer take it and stopped cold. I almost immediately felt better and within 2 or 3 days I was okay again. Don't do it.