What are all possible causes of Adrenal Insufficiency and Addison's disease? Is it possible that my cousin have this disease due to stress? It is hard for e to believe, but that was the answer that she has got in hospital. I would like to know more about causes of Adrenal Insufficiency and Addison's disease. I’ll appreciate any info.

Most cases of Addison's disease are caused by the gradual destruction of the adrenal cortex, the outer layer of the adrenal glands, by the body's own immune system. About 70% of reported cases of Addison's disease are caused by autoimmune disorders and Adrenal insufficiency occurs when at least 90 % of the adrenal cortex has been destroyed.often both glucocorticoid (cortisol) and mineralocorticoid (aldostertone) hormones are lacking. Type I occur in children and adrenal insufficiency may be accompanied b: underactive parathyroid glands, slow sexual development, pernicious anemia, chronic candida infections, and active hepatitis. Type II, usually afflicts young adults. Features of type II may include: an underactive thyroid gland, slow sexual development, diabetes, vitiligo. Tuberculosis can destroy the adrenal glands, accounts for about 20 %of cases of primary adrenal insufficiency in developed countries. Less common causes of primary adrenal insufficiency are: chronic infection, mainly fungal infections, and cancer cells spreading from other parts of the body to the adrenal glands, amyloidosis, and surgical removal of the adrenal glands.

HI, I can tell you from experience that adrenal fatigue is caused by stress. Last Nov. I was under a lot a of stress at home because of family and medical problems. I didn't even realize that I was under stress, that's how easy it is to mistake it for something else. I weighed 139 lbs. and had weighed that for 5 years, I had 7 pairs of the exact same, exact same size pants, that I wore all the time. I got up one day put on a pair, just like I always did, and they were baggy, the next day I got up, tried to put them on and could not even get them on. I seemed like overnight I had gained about 15 lbs. This kept going on, until finally in about 3 months I had gained 50 lbs. with no apparrent reason. My doctor did every test known to mankind on me and I am not joking. Everything was normal, except for the fact that I kept getting sicker and sicker, I was in so much pain, physical, and mental, that I was just about suicidal. I could not do anything I was so weak. Finally, I talked to my pharmacist, and she suggested that I take an adrenal test. Which I did, the moderate score was 120 my score was 153. She put me on supplements which did help me alot. But let me tell you something else that was going on that I did not know at the time which might help you out. Be very careful of medications. My doctor had also prescribed for me ketoconazole 2% cream for my face because I have to much yeast in my body and it comes out in my skin. I did not know how dangerous this cream was. It also had a very detrimental effect on my health un beknownced to me at the time she prescribed, it damages the adrenal system. The way I found this out was when I went to her, she put me on 50 ml of Topamax 2x a day for stress. I also ran out of my rx of cream, all of a sudden I started feeling great and I lost 20 lbs in 2 months. whenI got my cream refilled, after a week and a half of being back on it I was deathly sick again, had stopped losing weight, severe headaches, fatigue,swollen, painfull breasts, pain in my eyes when I move them, chest pains. So Just to let everyone know.

Just so you know Topamax also exhausts your adrenals too and puts you at higher risk for insufficiency. Yeah it suppresses your appetite which is what most people like but it burns out your adrenals which in the long run is not solving the problem. I should know my endrocinrologist is treating me for adrenal Insufficiency because of it.