Hello. I recently found out that my best friend’s dog has Addison’s disease. We’ve been together to the vet but they wouldn’t let me come in with her so I had to stay in the waiting room. My friend doesn’t know much about dogs and she’s a bit… I don’t know how to say this. She sometimes doesn’t get things very fast. So when she got out after 30 minutes of talking with the vet, I asked her what’s wrong with the dog. She told me he has this thing called Addison’s disease and that she didn’t get much of the rest of things the vet told her. I googled it up as soon as we got home. It’s treatable. Does anyone here know what are the causes of this disease?

Yes, it is treatable, but it is painful experience for dog and for the owner. I don’t know that much about dogs, but I was reading and learning about Addison’s disease, because my aunt’s dog was diagnosed with Adison’s disease as well. There are several different reasons for this. Deficient production of hormones – mineralocorticoids and glucocorticoids can cause number of symptoms such as weakness, dehydration, low blood pressure, vomiting, etc. Also, metastatic tumors can cause Addison’s disease and long term glucocorticoid withdrawal. The most important thing is that this is treatable, and I am sure that everything will be just fine with that dog. 

Hello there. I really do hope that she visited the vet in the right time. Addison’s disease is usually caused by lower production of hormones, such as cortisol. It is caused by adrenal glands, and those are small glands that are located near the kidneys. Those hormones are really necessary to control water balance, sugar and salt in your dog’s body. Well, this condition is common in dogs, but rarer in cats. There is possibility that this dog was stressed, because when dog is stressed, their adrenal glands produce more cortisol, and that can help them deal with the stress.  Now, dog with Addison’s can’t make enough cortisol, and they cannot deal with stress. 

Hello.

This is an autoimmune disease and just like with any other autoimmune disease, there’s not much we know about it. I hope somewhere down the road we will find out a lot more about it.

It is caused by malfunction of adrenal glands. Sometimes they produce less cortisol than they should.

But what happens in the dog’s organism that causes adrenal glands to not function properly- we still don’t know.

You can hear people giving their own judgments, but the truth is, nobody knows.

That’s why this disease is not curable. It’s treatable (usually vets use corticosteroids to control it) but once the dog gets it,  it will always be there.

Yeah, that’s true. Addison’s disease cannot be completely cured. Unfortunately.

It is caused by a problem with autoimmune system that can’t be cured and therefore dogs with this disease might receive meds through all their life and still have some troubles with fatigue and lack of energy.

The good news is, lately, vets are able to share their experiences regarding this disease and they manage to keep it under control pretty successfully.

So, instead of focusing on the cause of the disease, we should focus on how to cure it, or at least keep it under control.

The important thing  is that the dog with this disease has the proper care.

Hi there. I have a cat with Addison’s disease, but it’s pretty much the same for both cats and dogs- there is no familiar cause. :/ We only know that it occurs when adrenal glands stop to function properly.
And I don’t know why, but it happens more often among dogs. I don’t know a single cat owner whose cat have it and I know two families whose dogs suffer from it.
I’d love to know the cause so at least I could know that it’s not something I did. The vets say that it’s probably not. But you never know.