Hi, I`m 32 years old girl and I suffer from depression and fatigue, and am getting fetter. I feel only better when I`m eating, the food gives me some sort of comfort. I work for a construction firm and my job is really stressful. Sometimes I cannot sleep. Also, I think that problem has brought me a skin problem and a hormonal imbalance. My doctor told me I suffer from adrenal fatigue and recommended me an Adrenal stress index. What exactly is that?

According to your symptoms, your doctor is right. I strongly suggest you take an Adrenal stress index, which is a laboratory test that shows how your body system would response when under stress. Adrenal stress index includes testing your saliva to show the level of cortisol and DHEA. A cortisol level, which is being measured several times a day to show the adrenals` pattern, within a broad range is normal, but outside that range indicates a problem. Once tracked by Adrenal stress index, your adrenal fatigue can be relieved. It is important to take Adrenal stress index while in early stage. This, so-called hyperadrenia shows are high level of cortisol during the day. It`s not late for the treatment in the middle stage too, when your body is trying to retrieve its` balance, and a cortisol level is high at night. But, once in advanced stage your cortisol level will never be normal again. This stage is called hypoadrenia. First you have to take a full physical exam, enrich your nutrition, reduce carbohydrates, exercise and relax more. Your body needs to rest and give him some time to relax. And, of course, go and take your Adrenal stress index.

The earlier post indicates that if you wait until your cortisol levels are very low (hypoadrenia), that they will never recover. This may be true if you rely solely on traditional western medicine. Western medicine can treat disease or symptoms, but doesn't have tools for regenerating depleted systems. Eastern medicine, however, embodies the principles of regeneration.

I was in the worst stage of hypoadrenia a year ago and was suffering from poor immune function, depression, extreme fatigue and infertility. My ASI test was abysmally low. Since then, I've been in treatment with acupunture and oriental medicine (herbal supplements, etc.). I've have progressed through the reverse stages of adrenal fatigue through the year - high cortitsol at night, over-production of cortisol, etc. Now I am finally leveling off to normal levels and feeling a million times better.

So - if your doctor tells you (as mine did) that he can't do anything else for you, get a referral to a Doctor of Oriental Medicine and acupuncturist.