I’ve been felling discomfort in my chest, like it is under the ribs. I went to see physician about it yesterday. He send me to do chest X-ray, PA and lateral. I am scheduled for tomorrow. What does it mean PA and what lateral?

The most common diagnostic X-ray is chest X-ray. PA is a frontal view and Lateral is side view of chest. Those films will be done primarily to see the lungs and heart shadows. You must not have anything from waist up tomorrow. I mean take off necklaces, bras, nipple rings, shirts with zippers…etc. This may confuse machine and looks like shadow on film.

Hello there amitie,

Since hunter has already answered your question I would just like to add that the discomfort you are feeling is probably nothing serious. And tests that you need to done are just precocious. Anyhow you should stop stressing yourself out because of this. Stress is very bad for your overall health and it can cause you some additional complications.

Also, as hunter has implied take off all your jewelry because this can confuse machine and you could end up with wrong diagnosis. All in all keep us posted about the results and your condition and I hope that you will be fine and that the discomfort you are feeling will be gone pretty soon. Good luck.