I am a 34 years old male. In August 2005, I suffered from a severe chest infection which to me looked like any other flu-like illness. I had high fever of up to 104 degree Fahrenheit. Once I coughed and I noticed a blood streak in my sputum.

The doctor prescribed me Amoxicillin initially but it did not work and I went back to my doctor who changed the medicine to clarithromycin. This medicine seemed to work well and the fever came down to almost normal in 48 hours. I took the prescription for 7 days.

However, I had a nagging cough which did not go with some white sputum at times. I was told by the doctor that the cough will go eventually. But the cough did not go and I started having recurrent chest infections raising the body temperature again to about 102 or higher. I went back to my doctor and he gave me clarithromycin again which seemed to resolve the situation.

The doctor also ordered a chest x-ray which was normal. The cough would not go and I would get an infection with fever AFTER every 2-3 weeks, which would require antibiotics. All of the above was happening in the UK.

In February 2006, I traveled to India where the weather is much warmer and I noticed an improvement in my cough but it did not go away completely. The fever was gone and I thought it won’t come back. While I was in India, I again suffered from a fever April 2006 with the same symptoms like congestion in chest etc.

This time I decided to get myself examined by a chest specialist. After listening to my symptoms the specialist ordered a CT scan of the thorax. He also ordered some blood tests. I don’t think they found anything in either the CT or blood reports. I was told that due to recurrent chest infections, there are some small scars on my left lung. They said that this could happen when a person suffers from pneumonia which gets cured but as the lungs heal some scars are left. Those scars cause irritation and cough and could lead to frequent infections. They recommended an inhalator spray (which had some cartisones) which I took for sometime but it did not help much.

Then I shifted to homeopathic medication. I have been taking a cell salt called calcarea phosphate for about 4-5 months now (6x strength, 4 pellets, 3-4 time a day). So, what this has done is that it has gotten rid of the recurrent fever / infections. But the cough still remains. I am working in Canada right now which is again very cold. I still cough and occasionally produce some sputum white in color. The cough does not seem to get better.

The main symptom is that when I lie on my left side the cough gets aggravated. When I lie on the right side, it’s almost gone. I also hear a lot of sound of loose phlegm when I breathe in or out. When I get up in the morning there is no sign of the cough or the sound of phlegm – everything seems absolutely normal. But then as the day progresses and I start indulging in some physical activity, I can hear the sound of the phlegm as I breathe and then I cough as if to clear the throat. I seldom bring up anything.

I don’t have breathlessness. I am eating well. My weight has not gone down, but something that I notice is this (I may be wrong) – I am not gaining weight as I used to earlier. For example, I used to gain a lot of weight around my waist, which is not happening now. Although the weighing machine shows around 106 kg as opposed to 100 kg when I used to eat less an year ago (when I did not have this condition). I am eating more these days!

Also, I sometimes feel some kind of slight chest pain on the left side of my chest. Sometimes, I also feel little pain like in the little finger of my hand or foot, but then it goes away.

Any advice would be helpful since I have this cough for more than a year which could be irritating and cumbersome at times.

John

Hi John,

I was just reading your post and your condition is literally identical to mine (even down to the weight issues).

It's pretty annoying to have this persistent cough and not get any answers as to what's causing it. If anyone can shed any light or recommend a good remedy I'd be very impressed.

Rigs.

Hello john,
I was searching through the net if I could find any solution to my persistent cough... and I found your post... My problem is similar to your too. I have been having my cough for more than a year now. It gets worst when I am in front of a fan or an aircon, or when I have to talk for a long time then I also have the loose phlegm. I thought its because of my smoking habit... I quit smoking and its been 7 months now...but its the same.
I recently went to this Pulmonary doctor, as soon as he heard my complains he diagnosed it as acute bronchitis and gave me some medicines for a week to try. I have to go back after a week to report. He seemed pretty sure of my illness. Mind you, my chest x ray was clear too. I feel a bit better after taking that medicine. Its just been a day only.
Hope this helps. Take care!

Joe- T

John,

ready your post and I too have had trouble with my lungs and coughing...have you been tested for asthma? I went to a respirologist and did all of the lung control testing, etc. My lungs checked out to be in great shape....However my coughing continues. I often get chest infections that require, antiboitic, puffers and even prednizone....They helped but again...whenever I do get ill...I will end up with a cough for about 6 weeks...and it never fully goes away... The last thing that my doctor wanted to check me out for was allergies...apparently if you have allergies it can prolong your cough when ill and may even be present when you are NOT ill. Best of luck...I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

your constant coughing probably is the reason ur "losing" weight around your waist due to working the muscles around abdomen. ur actually getting a possible workout haha. but its a shame that it seems that a lot of different people have a similar condition, including my friend who im trying to do some research for, since doctors have been relatively helpless on the subject.

I have been coughing for at least 18 months, had x- rays recently - results are clear.

Coughing usually start when I eat something. or when I go from a cold place(outside) to a warm room or building. But most of all, late afternoon and evening time my chest feels a bit on the tight side, my coughing becomes continuous.. Also, it is not good when I am in meetings talking, then start coughing. Its not good for the other people in the room. My Doctor says anti-biotics are not working and will not give any more prescriptions.....so what is the answer ?

I have a lot of the same symptoms as you. I have had this persistent cough for over 5 months now, and just lately it has gotten extremely worse. I went to the doctor 3 times, with the first telling me it was bronchitis. The second telling me it was walking pneumonia. And the third telling me it was pleurisy, and scheduling a chest x-ray.
I took the x-ray and it came back normal.
So I went to a separate doctor, and he said he had no idea what was wrong with me. He called me a "medical mystery".
When I wake up, my coughing is the worst. My chest is very tight, as if someone has slept on top of me in the night.
My back on the left side has been in pain for the last 2 months, and it hurts especially in that area when I breathe in deeply.

I'd really love to know what is wrong with me. I'm a singer, and it's ruining my voice and lungs.
Any advice or news you hear would be greatly appreciated!

Have 6 kids and five have asthma, allergies and some have had croupe. You guys sound like you have asthma and allergies. Hope it helps.

Hi John,

I have exactly teh sameproblem. I live in Colombioa up in the hills in the suburbs and I started developing this condition 3 weeks ago as a normal flu but with the difference that I have no fever, no running nose, but dry cough withn some white phlegm specially in the morning and night. lung XR came normal 4 days ago. The neumologist prescribed all together NEXIUM, MEDROL, ZETROMAX and FLIXOTIDE but I do not feel getting any better as of yet...hope we all get at least a diagnosis about this syndrome.

Hi. I returned back from the Czech Rep to London to work end of June. Early July developed a cough which persisted for 2 months with no infection. Then overnight it got back and i started coughing up yellow mucus. After a few days went to see the doctor who advised it would go on its own (!) and so i suffered another 5 days before going back. This time a different doctor gave me 5 days of amoxycillin (i thought this was not long enough, but hey-ho) + prednisolone to help me breathe. Also ordered chest xr and blood tests. All came back okay.

After 5 days infection was not gone. Waited another 2 days before going back. This time sputum test (awaiting results) + 5 days of stronger antibiotic. Plus they advised i used my blue inhaler as and when required, plus i used a Seretide inhaler twice a day (i suffer from mild asthma). I am at the end of my 5 day course and still coughing (due to rattling in chest), albeit no yellow mucus comes up now.

Feel totally exhausted from coughing and difficult to work a full day at times. Feel frustrated. Have a followup doc appointment in 2 day's time so will see what they assess and results of sputum test. Starting to feel depressed about the whole thing. I had something similar last year and the year before, and both were treated with antibiotics successfully. This seems to be persistent though and my opinion is the first doctor was wrong leaving me a week for the infection to take hold.

As i'm 47 and asthmatic my wife tells me to dress up warm these days when i go out. Before i didn;t really think about it, but i guess it makes sense to keep the neck area warm on windy cold days. Plus i've been advised to see the asthma nurse to make sure i am keeping in check my asthma with proper use of inhalers. I would advise others who suffer to do likewise. Good luck to you all!

Have same thing. Three months now. Two different doctors, x-ray was clean. Going to specialist next.

I am from the midwest and have had similar symptoms for over two years.

1. Lingering cough following colds and flue lasting for months

2. Thick white phlegm; choking cough; fatigue

3. Improves during warm weather or travel to warm climates

4. X-rays are mosty clean with some scars from past infections

5. No COPD

6. Allergy testing shows no results

7. Antibiotics do not improve condition

8. Advair does not help

9. Albuteral provides some relief

Then I got H1N1 in spring of 2009 and it got much worse afterwards. I was coughing up mucous most of the year. Specialists in USA are completely baffled and appear offended when asked to do a sputem culture. I've spent a lot of money on Advair with no results. It seems like the doctors are brain washed or something.

Some doctor could really make a name for himself if he could figure this out. And .... please don't quote the Nexium advertising again.

I am not sure if this will help but I had a friend who had some kind of whooping cough and was very ill. She ended up going to a Chinese
doctor who gave her a tea that she said tasted disgusting but worked quicker than any western medicine did.
Give it a go - cant hurt - good luck.

Hi John,

I'd recommend you try Health Kinesiology. There are several kinesiologists in Canada, if you are still there. (Don't confuse with Touch for Health Kinesiology, which is mainly nutritional testing, although can still be of help).

Lungs are commonly linked to grief, sadness, even depression, and also lack of fulfillment in life, so make sure your emotional state is addressed. Can you make a link to something that happened before your cough started, such as a loss of someone, job, etc?

If you cannot get to Health Kinesiologist, consider acupuncture or homeopathy.

A year after moving to Seattle, I started getting daily morning phlegm and head pressure. Its been 2-3 months now and my chest x-ray and blood work came okay. One a week I also get severe headaches, but the daily morning head pressure and phlegm is scaring me.

Wonder if the rain or barometric pressure change is causing this. Ruined my life at the moment.