Australian researchers have determined that children of older fathers perform less well in intelligence tests while children with older mothers gained higher scores in the same tests designed to measure the ability to think and reason, including concentration, learning, memory, speaking and reading skills.

Nowadays, men and women are having children much later than they did a few years ago, especially in developed countries.

The effects of having children later for women have already been discussed but the consequences of increased paternal age are not that well known. Previous studies have drawn links between older fathers and specific health problems in their children, including birth deformities and cancer, as well as neuropsychiatric conditions such as autism and schizophrenia.

In the study, the researchers analyzed data from intelligence tests taken by 33,437 children who were born between 1959 and 1965 in the United States. The children were tested at 8 months, 4 years and 7 years and were assessed for their sensory discrimination, hand-eye coordination, reading, spelling and arithmetic ability. They found that the older the father, the more likely the child would have lower scores on the various tests.

On the other hand, the older the mother was, the higher the scores of the child in the cognitive tests.

Children of older mothers are thought to perform better because they may be experiencing a more nurturing home environment while the children of older fathers do not necessarily experience the same benefit.
The researchers suggested that the lower scores obtained by offspring of older men may have to do with mutation as his sperm accumulates over his lifetime, which previous studies have suggested could mean increased incidence of mutations in the sperm at an older age.

I would tend to think that the eggs of older women would have experienced the same increase in the incidence of negative mutations. just like the sperms of older men would. I also think that older fathers can be just as nurturing as older mothers. So I am not buying into the argument of the researchers. This is a thought provoking article nevertheless.

You didn't say what ages they considered older.
My mother was 36 when I was born and my father 43.
The first I recall about my IQ was when they gave us IQ tests in the 8th grade in 1952 -53. I don't remember what the numbers were but they got really upset with me for my poor grades because they said I had the IQ of a college freshman. I didn't encounter homework until the seventh grade and I didn't like it, so I didn't do it.

When I was an electronics instructor at the US Army South Eastern Signal School, one of the other instructors who had been an instructor at West Point, got the idea of comparing GT scores from the battery of tests we all had to take upon entering the service. He asked what mine was and when I told him it was 131 he didn't believe me. He made me get a copy of my records to prove it to him. He said that was the equivalent of the civilian IQ score and I couldn't get a score that high without going to college.

The only reason I remembered it is because they got all excited about it at the recruiting depot after I took the test. They said that was the highest score they had ever seen at that depot, in 1958. The Air Force wanted to put me in military intelligence or jet engine mechanic school. The Army agreed to send me to the electronics school I wanted, so I became a dogface. They gave us some more tests as soon as we got to the reception station which I slept through due to having not slept for over a day. I woke up when they announced we had 20 minutes left on a 2 hour exam. I quickly ran through the test to finish it. The next day they spent an hour trying to get me to go to officer school instead of enlisted basic training.

I refused their kind offer thereby proving my IQ wasn't as high as they thought it was. I should have jumped at the opportunity to become an officer, although I probably wouldn't have survived Viet Nam. I think the attrition rate for shavetail platoon leaders was nearly as high as helicopter pilots.

I recently took one of those on line IQ tests and scored 137.

I did however, inherit my father's heart attack genes and had 6x bypass surgery when I was 55.
My mother died at 102 in 2006.
I'm shooting for 120.

Thank you for sharing your personal experience with us.

I don't see how this is true at all. The fact that women tend to have less rationality than men I don't see how this has any scientific evidence what so ever.