Hi, my brother is schizophrenic and he`s in the top 2% of IQ (10 years old). So, I`m positive there is a relation between giftedness and schizo. When I think about it, seems logical. Schizophrenia is a mental disease and maybe some part of it gives a person high IQ. So, whit schizophrenia, you have psychotic episodes and study your math better. Or something like that. Anybody on that subject?

Hi, I think like everybody knows that schizophrenia happens only to the smartest people. I don`t think that your brother`s IQ came as a consequence, I think that high IQ already exists and seems to be a predisposition for schizophrenia. Maybe the smartest people can become schizo more likely then other. I`ve been reading about some study which indicate that higher IQ score may decrease the risk for developing psychotic symptoms. According to that study, men with lower IQ scores have a 40% greater risk of developing psychotic disorder. Also, there was no similar link between IQ and bipolar disorder. All this means that the risk of developing schizophrenia is higher for those people with lower IQ. I must say I disagree with that. But relation between giftedness and schizo exist, anyway.

I think that Schizo may be caused by a certain part of your brain that, just for most lower-normal ability people, are just unable to control so the brain doesnt let them.

Maybe its the smart people that get it because, maybe the brain thinks that they will be able to handle it.

I don't think so. My husband's ex girlfriend's mother is a schizo, and she's as dumb as a box of rocks. My stepfather is also schizo, and he doesn't have a genius intelligence. I used to work in a hospice, and we had a lot of schizophrenics, and they weren't little Einsteins either. So saying that only smart people are schizophrenic is absurd. Anyone can get it, it's a mental disease, not something affected by intelligence.