I have taken 3 of the top IQ tests, and got 179, 185, and 184. I've been averaged at 185, though. 

I'm 13 years old, all honors. My teachers said I am capable of skipping a grade, and have taken Pre-SAT tests. 

So, is this 185 normal, and what is that scaled at? What's normal?

Community Administrator

Which IQ tests they you take, and by whom were they administrated?

All of those results are crazily high and I'd definitely question the reliability of the tests. For the most accurate IQ score, you should take an IQ test through Mensa. Bear in mind that the 'genius' status is achieved by those who score over 140.

I'm not quite sure how 179, 185, and 184 have been averaged to 185? And, like Olivia said, it's important to know which test(s) were used, but generally, around 70% of adult US population has an IQ between 85-115. Scores of 130 and above, scored on Wechler scale (most commonly used IQ test for official purposes such as identifying gifted children, or as a part of diagnostic procedures, court rulings ... etc.) mean you are extremely intelligent. There is a debate as to what any additional point above 140 would exactly translate to in real life, so it's usually recommended that you explore your specific abilities further with tests focusing on specific cognitive areas like verbal or mathematical skills. And of course, depending on your pre-SAT performance, you probably would benefit more from skipping a year or following an advanced schooling program for gifted children.

Yeah, where were the tests taken? Congratulations though, that is off the scale. I am sure you are probably lower than that somewhat if taking a different type, but that is awesome.

I actually have the same IQ and we are the same age, if you ask I have taken one one hundred page IQ test (state issued) and scored around 180-190. The question at hand about your IQ depends on what you see as normal yourself. Normal means what people take in as a standard pretty much. To me, it is not because I personally do not know anyone in person with the same or similar IQ. If people around your age score the same IQ, it is normal for you and those people.

Leonardo DaVinci had an IQ 190.

I was tested in kindergarten with the Stanford-Binet IQ test by the school psychologist and scored 185. This was in California in the 60s and the options were different for gifted children. My parents were told that I had the possibility of becoming a prodigy in anything I was interested in but might lose some social skills that way. My parents opted for a more "normal" route, which left me far more frustrated. Eventually I found my own path but the lack of understanding and support took its toll. You are extraordinarily intelligent, as evidenced by three tests, not "normal" at all. It sounds like you are getting good support from your teachers and hopefully at home, so the questions you must answer for yourself would be (IMO) 1.) Are you being sufficiently challenged in your current grade? 2.) Could your education be supplemented by a few college level courses in your areas of interest and have you stay at grade level? 3.) How would that affect your friendships? 4.) Do you have some compelling reason to graduate high school early? (it might be a great choice but not if you'd feel you were missing out on that experience)
It irks me when people question your question. "Are you sure the test is a good one?" "Who gave you the test?", etc. I'd get it if you'd taken some online quiz but that was not the impression I got from your post. As for MENSA? Meh. Felt like a club to be in for the sake of saying you were a MENSA member... so stupid. If that's something that might benefit you, fine, but I doubt you have to confirm your diagnosis with them.
Oh, and as for how they 'average' out to 185? It depends on which tests are the standardized, which are not and what areas you excel or are "weak". The average number is determined by more than a common numerical average. Great good luck to you!

They had IQ tests back then?

I agree with "Guest"... although my first test was in 2nd grade as I recall. I've had MANY tests over the years.

I had the privilege of being in some great public schools, where I was encouraged to go at my own pace, and add extra topics as I had interest.

Bottom line: take advantage of your opportunities, whatever they are, and try hard to not allow yourself to get bored.

I am actually the same age as you, however the results I received said that I have an IQ of 190. Is that weird?