I have constant pain in my low back. It changes in its intensity and sometimes is very severe. Are cortisone shots indicated in severe back pain? Are they pain relievers? A friend of mine once had very bad pain in neck and was on cortisone shots for about a week. I wonder if that could solve my problem?

Cortisone is very powerful anti-inflammatory medication. Pain in back is usually caused by inflammation. Cortisone does not treat pain directly, but inflammation as eventual cause of that pain. You certainly have to schedule at your physicians and get the right diagnosis and therapy. I used to have very bad back pain, but have solved it without cortisone shots, with some other pain killers and physical therapy.

I was injured in a severe turbulence incident on an aircraft almost 3 years ago and was subsequently injured 2 more times. The last one (the straw that broke the camel's back) on Nov. 07. Since then I am in chronic back pain. Of course workers' comp would only pay for pain pills, then ask me why I still need them. After they closed the case, my own doctors told me I had a central herniated disc as well as bulges and a flattened nerve root. There is also a substance that is emitted from injury that is irritating to the nerves.

I have had my first 2 weeks of cortisone injections and they have really helped. However, I am experiencing side effect from them. Just an overall feeling of not being well, fatigued and a feeling that my body is having trouble processing this (I have endocrine/metabolism issues as well). My muscles are now seizing and are so tight that I sometimes can't use them, especially in my calves and feet. SO, what to do? I think to spread out the shots enough to see how your body will respond. For me, I am taking the lesser of two evils at this point. Having pain for 2 and a half years has been like chinese water torture after a while and difficult for anyone to understand unless they have been there.

Let me know how you handle it. We can go through it together. I am still researching how the muscles are affected and how your body processes this chemical through the liver.

Take care and stay strong!

Hello Woman Wonder!

I tried the back shots about 3 years ago and they worked for awhile . But the past year I have been getting worse, have been told I have herniated discs in lower back, besides having fibromyalgia, and arthritis in hips, feet, hands, you name it. I have spinal stenosis L5.
I have been using Ultram pain pills and Lidoderm pain patches, but all they do is dull it. I get pinched nerves across my hips/top of butt area...and down to the back of my knees.

Just got 2 shots (epidurals) in Wed afternoon. Came home and hurt like hell...laid down. Felt SO much better the next morning...still pretty sore feeling but no pinched nerves...and I can walk with out looking like a am spasing! (It was embarrasing, as I was always leaning forward to help take pressure off my back)

I will tell you one thing, went camping a few weeks ago and spent alot of time in pool. It wasn't too comfortable, but after a couple of days it made me feel great! Water therapy to most is like a dump tank..can't do anything good there and it made me hurt more. I have had therapy so many times for so many injuries, (foot-heel operation, 2 neck fusions) andmore. But what they need is to offer a real pool with warmer water...and even just swimking woudl be great. But the hard thing si it was required 3 times a week..even if you were lucly enough to do that it was expensive! That was an extra $75.00 a week for me.

With feeling so bad all the time it does lead to depression, how can it not? I live alone and have to do it all myself. Doctors tell you to take it easy! LOL I don't know how to do that as I also have a mother I care for also. Last night did her grocery shopping and was sore and had to lay on ice when I got home. If this is as good as it gets, I would like to take my earned 401 and go have fun while I still can move! Good luck to all and let me know if anythign really works!