My doctor prescribed me cortisone injections for my cystic acne. He said that hormone therapy will reduce inflammation of deeper acne nodules. Until now I used only lotions and creams as acne treatment. I am really scared. I don’t know how many shots I need or if are they painful. But I have to do it, I look terrible. Please tell me something about it.

Well I have to tell you some cortisone shots can be painful, especially when they are injected into an area that is already inflamed, they are much more sensitive. I had only four injections and it worked for me. I can’t tell how many cortisone shots you need for cystic acne, but you swhouldn’t worry as it is extremely effective. I only know that there is a limit of the amount of cortisone given in dose, and that it depends on your size and physical condition. Don’t worry, you’ll be fine!

hey i was worried about it to (i'm a real needle phobe) but they're not nearly as bad as your thinking i get them all the time now and they work really well

I have had these injections in the past when I lived in the US and I found them the most effective for getting rid of this most resistant and painful skin infection. The cysts will clear up remarkably well, as inflammation is greatly reduced in 24 hours time, and the pustule will drain without any pain. The cyst flattens out quickly and dries out, so your appearance improves in just 48 hours or less. It is always my choice of treatment whenever I have a particularly difficult outbreak. Unfortunately, now that I live in England I have had endless trouble trying to get these highly effective injections on the NHS (National Health Service) and general practitioners (MD's) remain quite ignorant about how to treat this most severe type of acne. It is taking me years to try and get a referral to a dermatologist, so in the meantime I have had to suffer with cysts, treating them with whatever I can get a prescription for. Right now I am back on antibiotics to reduce the amount of bacteria on my skin. I hope to eventually get my appointment with a dermatologist so I can have injections again. Oh, and by the way, it is worth what little discomfort you'll have with the needle! It's not very painful.

Please do some research on Accutane. It is the only medication which actually cures cystic acne. It worked for me. It's a little harsh and takes at least 16 weeks but it is a permanent cure.

Accutane is not always a permanent cure but most of the time it does appear to be so.