Few months ago it has happened for the first time: pain, numbness and tingling sensations in fingers and hands. At first I didnt pay much attention to it. But then it has started to become chronic. Then I have found out that I have carpal tunnel syndrome. Now I would like to know do Cortisone injections work for carpal tunnel.

Cortisone is injection that has been used for treating carpal tunnel for a long time. I know that my mother has used it when she had trouble with this disease. But there is one thing you should know. The shots are effective but it can only delay the symptoms and eventually it wears off. The only long term solution is a surgery.

Cortisone shots work. It is like a miracle injection. I had it done ten days ago and within two days I was almost completely cured. My symptom were so bad that I couldnt sleep for more than an hour at a time. Three months after installing flooring in my house my CT never got any better. The cortisone shots are painful but they sure were worth it! I would lose feeling in both my hands constantly. Within one minute of driving my hands would start to lose feeling. I could go on about the pain and the numbness but if you are reading this blog you know all about it. I would recommend getting cortisone shots to anyone that needs relief. It has only been ten days and I heard it can wear off in several months. Dont care. I can sleep again and there is no pain in my hands. If It comes back I will either get another shot or surgery but it was worth it even if it only lasted a few months. Not sure if anyone told me how painful the shots were and I dont consider myself a crybaby as a matter of fact I swore while laughing through the four shots, two in each wrist. Dead center. I thought he poked once needle through into my knee...ha ha not kidding. Might also want to get someone to drive you home. You can probably do it but I lost all feeling in both hands for about 12-14 hours until the shot for pain wore off. My hands felt just like your jaw does after leaving the dentist but lasted forever. My right hand is like 95-99 % better my left hand is about 85-95% better. I am very happy with the shots. Good luck. If you post a question for me I will try to answer it.

Some people really benefit from cortisone injections but this has not been my experience. I immediately got 'cortisone flare' which was incredibly painful and suffered from fatigue, severe nausea and depression, not to mention even more pain from my carpal tunnel syndrome and trigger fingers than before. Two weeks later I am in worse pain than I was before and now have two more fingers triggering. There has been absolutely no improvement to my condition. I will be going back to my doctor and telling him that I will not have anymore of them and for me I think the only relief will be surgery. Everyone I have spoken to who have had the decompression procedure says they have never looked back. Please don't let my story put you off, you may genuinely benefit from the injections but you should also be aware they don't suit everyone - Good Luck!

Hello:
I am reading your post about the cortizone shot for carpal tunnel, and am curious, if you are still feelling no pain.

How long did the shot work for. And one mention in your post was, Your hands felt like your jaw does after leaving the dentisnt, but lasted forever.

Did you mean that like, becuase you were numb from the shot procedue or did that feeling of of numbness from the shot, really last a long time.

Would like to know if you are still happy with your decision. And I hope you dont have pain, I had had the surgery in my right, and now my left has it, and sometimes my right hurts, like a small shock in the center of wrist, but mostly my thumb, so that might be arthritis the doctor said.

Hope to hear about yours.

Linda

hi linda
Could you please help me with below things
1.what is the expensive of surgery.
2.As I am a working software engineer how many days should i take to recover ateleast for work.
3.And Which is the best hospital for surgery.and surgeon name.

Thanks,
Andy

I understand the shot helped resolve your pain, but what about the numbness and tingling?

Thanks for your attention.

my doctor gave me cortisone injections in both wrists. The numbness and tingling resumed in about three weeks. It was sort of a test to determine if surgery would be needed. And yes it is painful. Had the surgery performed and its benn two years now pain free. Gives me time now to focus on my new migrain headaches that I have aquired for the first time in my life at 55 yrs old. A good friend of mine (age 83)laughingly said "it only gets worse as we grow older". So there it is in a nut shell! I try to make the best of each day.

Hi I no how you feel I had injection 2 wks ago the lovely nose bleeds and more pain with it shall notbe having another in august the consulant wants me to hav physiotherpy cos muscle wasteage on arms thats gonna be intresting when I attended how can one squezze a sponge eg with extra pain

I had injections done in both wrists today.  Yes my hands are still numb from the medicine but it will give me a little extra time to prepare for surgery.   I had my right wrist worked on in 2012 but at that time I wasnt aware of the psoriatic arthritis that causes my skin to heal faster than most people, this in turn caused a lot of scar tissue that now needs to be removed.  After my surgery in 2012 I was out and about and fishing the next day and was able to keep up with my at the time 3 year old.  To me it all depends on how well you can handle pain.  I was given some really good pain killers but only took 2 and dissolved the rest.  Good Luck

I suffered from severe carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand back in 2012 (muscles in my thumb "palm" started to concave from nerve damage). I couldn't ever brush my teeth with my right hand. I had the CTR surgery immediately (2013) and have never had any problems with my right hand again. Now I've been suffering for months with my left hand, but my muscle in my thumb is still rounded and firm. We did one Cortisone injection in my left hand and I actually slept through the night!! The numbness is still there (down to about 20% from 90%), but no, yes NO searing, burning pain radiating up to my middle finger or down my forearm. I'm ecstatic to say the least. I don't care if this last 1 month, 1 week or a few days. Being able to sleep through the night without being woken up from searing pain is the best present anyone could give me. I know surgery inevitable, but I'll keep doing the injections as long as they work. Hallelujah!

I had a shot in my left wrist yesterday. It didn't hurt in the slightest, a complete non-event. I think people vary greatly in this but most people don't have much discomfort. Certainly some do so I don't mean to dismiss it, just to say not to let this scare anyone else away because most people do NOT have much pain.

No cortisone flare or the like either. Doc told me to expect some soreness and increased symptoms at first, which did happen though it wasn't bad. 36 hours out and the soreness and increased numbness and tingling are gone and I'm back to about like it was before. He said to expect about three days to notice improvement so I'm still waiting for that.