I have a friend who undergoes some dental surgery few days ago. He told me his dentist gave him Novocain, which caused him feels terrible. I found it strange, because why doctor would do that to his patient. Can you tell me could it be right medicine, for any surgery, that his doctor might perform? Then, could you say about side effects of Novocain, because I want to know more about it.

Novocain is a drug that is injected before and during various surgical or dental procedures. This drug causes loss of feeling in the skin and surrounding tissues. Generic Novocain injections are available to be injected into a specific area to make it numb before a surgery or some other procedure. Depending on the type of procedure, it may be given into the area around spine, into gums, or into other areas. This has been given so patient will not feel pain during the procedure. Side effects that should be reported to health care provider are anxiety, restlessness, difficulty breathing, and shortness of breath. Then dizziness, drowsiness, lightheadedness, nausea, vomiting, seizures, skin rash, itching, and slow, irregular heartbeat are also side effects of Novocain that should be reported. If they are going to occur, these side effects may become apparent before patient leave the hospital, clinic or dental office. Beside these serious side effects of Novocain, some side effects usually do not require medical attention. Those Novocain side effects are, for example, numbness or tingling of the face or mouth, and pain at the injection site.