I have been taking Dilantin 400mg a day for almost four weeks. I just read today that if I quit taking this medication that it will cause another seizure. Is this true, and is it caused from the Dilantin itself or from the fact that an anticonvulsant isn't being used so seizures could occur? I have one friend that has been on Topamax, so I wonder should I take this medicine too, or even change it for Dilantin?

I have husband that suffers from epilepsy since he was 15. He was so lucky to find a new doctor that seems to be really good. She has recently switched his medications, and he has been removed from Phenobarbital and has had it replaced with Topamax. He has always been on Dilantin. She has said that he if shows success with the Topamax that she will eventually try to remove him from Dilantin as well. She has assured us that there are no chances of withdrawal seizures from the removal of Dilantin. Also I have one friend that is Dilantin taker since 17 years old, and now he’s 29 years old. Anyway, he has just started weening off the Dilantin a few weeks ago because of the bad side effects it was giving to his teeth and gums, in form of bleeding. He takes and Keppra and Topamax too. He had a pretty bad experience with Topamax, but it's one of the only 2 drugs that has worked for him. You can ask your doctor about taking Carbatrol and sometimes Diamox as well as a multivitamin, progsetrone, vitamin E, and vitamin B 12, maybe that could help with any medicine you decide to use.

Ive been epileptic my entire life, i see neurologists and been through many meds, Dilantin and Topamax a couple of them.. you read very correct.. if you stop any anti seizure suddenly it can increase the risk of break thru seizures.. that's why they always wean you off.. but as for Dilantin its a very very good drug.. just watch out for bone thining. calcium/vitamin D deficiencies.. gum over growth.. but always go for namebrand Dilantin.. generic never holds a level