Hi. I suffer from epilepsy. I`ve been taking Keppra for a long time, but I still have seizures from time to time. I was thinking that I should switch to some alternative therapies. Are there any herbs for treating epilepsy?

Hi. I am an epileptic too. I was reading about herbs for epilepsy. I even talked with my doc about it. He said ok, if I take only recommended doses. He also told me never to substitute herbal for regular seizure medicine. He said I might end up with prolonged, life-threatening seizures. Anyway, Valerian is the most popular med in treating epilepsy. The best thing is Valerian is almost completely non-toxic, even with long-term use. Lobelia is also very effective. Ginseng is also good for your whole body. Mistletoe is used for a long time for epilepsy and it can be used safely. Motherwort is used as a nerve tonic and sedative. It has an anti-epileptic effect in animals. Mugwort is also used for epilepsy. Other herbs used to treat epilepsy include sage, the miracle herb, skullcap, blue vervain and black cohosh. Black cohosh is highly recommended.

I have epilepsy as a result of a brain tumor. I was on Dilantin (Six Caps a day for 15 years) and now completely off the drugs using on an herbal formula. The formula is called "Evil Wind Be Gone" in tcm (traditional Chinese medicine) I had to 'wean' myself gradually off the drugs, but am now drug free. Here is the link where I purchased the herbal formula